Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

which glass should i buy?

hi all,
i bought my k-x (first dslr) for christmas.

I have a pentax M 50 mm f/1.7 and a tokina 200mm f/2.8

I used the 50 mm indoor, and i found it pretty good. I do not really have problems focusing in manual mode with the 50 mm.

I just found tricky to manually set the iso value, added to the rest (aperture, shutter speed, and focusing), so i am planning to buy another glass: an A lens should be enough

The 50 is pretty good indoor, but it's a bit too limited for holidays and street.

Wich lens should i buy, with 200 (really) max? i don't necessary need an extreme wide angle glass, nor a zoom one

thank you

12-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you want? You probably would make best use of your budget, (regardless of what you stated), with a good, used, light, small, wide angle, macro, zoom. A Tamron or Sigma. Check out eBay.com Good luck.
12-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
What do you want?
a wider lens then the 50, for street and holidays, no M and Km, extreme wide angle is not mandatory (i think a "normal" focal lenght like 28 35 should be good)

searching in ebay (for what?) it's pretty general
12-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The price's are way too much.

When I started to look at Pentax, I was informed one of the best reasons was that lenses were less then Canon, & Nikon, & just as good if not better.

One of the 1st lens I was told that would be a good idea to get would be a niffy 50. I found out that's a Canon term.

Anyway, everyone was saying a good one would run about $100.

The lowest I've seen is @ $360 for a FA 50mm f/1.4. I know that it's a great lenses from what I've read.

However, I've also checked prices 6 months ago and it seems that most lenses have doubled. What's going on?

12-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by taita87 Quote
a wider lens then the 50, for street and holidays, no M and Km, extreme wide angle is not mandatory (i think a "normal" focal lenght like 28 35 should be good)
Well, your options are somewhat limited then. There is an Pentax-A 28mm f2.8 lens, which is considered okay, but not excellent (and is well within your price range), there is a Pentax-A 35mm f2 (I like this optic myself, have the M verison) which is generally well regarded. There is also a Pentax-A 35mm f2.8, but it's not too good a lens from what I've heard. You might want to consider the new Pentax-DA 35mm f2.4, which has autofocus to boot, and has had positive reviews so far. That should be right around 200 euro (at least in some countries), which is about what the A35/2 goes for anyway.
12-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
When I started to look at Pentax, I was informed one of the best reasons was that lenses were less then Canon, & Nikon, & just as good if not better.

One of the 1st lens I was told that would be a good idea to get would be a niffy 50. I found out that's a Canon term.

The lowest I've seen is @ $360 for a FA 50mm f/1.4. I know that it's a great lenses from what I've read.

However, I've also checked prices 6 months ago and it seems that most lenses have doubled. What's going on?
Yeah I had a major bout of frustration a while back. I almost switched, but I made myself a spreadsheet and realized that the nikon and canon systems would be more expensive unless I only owned a few budget primes and a kit zoom.

1) Cheap pentax primes from the yesteryear might not be modern feature-wise, but they are better than the Canon 50mm f1.8 for example. Therefore, the A 50/1.7 really is a good alternative to the Canon EF 50/1.8 as long as you are willing to learn to autofocus.

2) The more expensive lenses for Canon and Nikon are MUCH more expensive.

3) The problem is that Pentax does not make any cheap primes these days, other than the 35mm 2.4. Hopefully, they will continue this pattern. If you compare the Pentax 50/1,4 to the Canon 1.4, you will begin to see where the deals lie.

4) Zoom for Pentax are almost always way less expensive, due to the lack of vibration reduction.

However th real charms of Pentax are the extensive lineup of vintage glass, and the unique primes like the Limiteds... which most brands do not offer.
12-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote

everybody was recommending the A level 50mm f1.7 which does cost about $100.

As far as the OP is concerned either an A28/2.8 ($100ish) or the new DA 35/2.4 ($200ish) would be my recommendation. One big factor might be whether or not you want the autofocus or not. But at that price it's hard to pass it up for an extra $100. Or you could get the DA 40mm if you up your price a little.

This is what I would like my travel set to be someday:
15mm and/or 21mm
28 or 35mm (or 40mm)
fast 50mm
135mm - I think I would like something in the 85-105 range better but I don't use telephoto much
12-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The DA 35/2.4 is a very good lens and at the top-end of your budget.

Keep in mind, however, that A lenses are close to price-neutral. You can sell them for roughly the amount you paid for them, likely more if you find a good deal. DA lenses will keep their value fairly well if purchased used, but not new. So if you find yourself not interested in photography, you won't be out much money; or, if you feel the need to upgrade to something better, you can sell what you have and take some of the shock out of the price.

That said, I think you'd be happy with a 28mm or 35mm lens. These are pretty common in f/2.8 models, and can be had from most lens makes. Personally, as you're starting out, I would recommend starting with a cheap set of lenses--28mm, the 50mm you already have, and a telephoto of 85, 100, 105, or 135mm. If you go with a brand other than Pentax, you can probably get a 28mm and a 135mm, both with A settings, for less than 100 euro. Take pictures. See what you like and don't like. Save money. Buy a lens that will enhance the kind of pictures you find yourself taking the most.

And enjoy. Have fun. That's what it is all about.

12-28-2010, 04:41 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
there is also the 16-45, used i mean

and also the 18-55 for an extreme low price

but which lens is the best at these focals? (28-35)?

i mean, is a 28mm A better then the 18-55 at 28mm?
12-28-2010, 05:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

why limit yourself with 2 lenses, one being manual. Why not opt for the Pentax 18-55 and enjoy a wider end and auto-focus your camera is capable of. Should be able to snag one in the marketplace for $50 or so. A step up would be the 16-45 for better IQ.

Edit: added...there is an FA28/2.8 for sale in the market place, great lens.

Jason