Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_T Quote
...Most of the vases and bowls will be not taller than about 16" and most in the 12" range. if this is pertinent information...
That's just a little smaller than an adult head, so for lenses and lighting, you can use a lot of advice given for headshots. I would certainly try a 50mm. At an aperture that would cover the whole item within the depth of field, most of them should have great resolution.

12-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
That's just a little smaller than an adult head, so for lenses and lighting, you can use a lot of advice given for headshots. I would certainly try a 50mm. At an aperture that would cover the whole item within the depth of field, most of them should have great resolution.
I never thought of it this way but does make sense.

Thanks,

Al
12-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #18

The K35/3.5 is cheap, sharp and 3D.
12-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_T Quote
It is a mesquite root burl and cast in resin.
So the burl is cast into a resin block and then turned? The excess gets turned away until the wood appears?

I use a 50mm macro and although the tripod has to be back further than normal I get good results from it. Others will have different preferences and there are lots of ways to get this done. I think the macro lens works better with my set up than regular lenses but that could just be me.

12-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
o the burl is cast into a resin block and then turned? The excess gets turned away until the wood appears?
More or less that is the way that it is done. Some prior selective turning is also in order. The resin I use depending on what quantity it is purchased in, is at minimum of $.75 an ounce including with shipping so it is pretty pricey so you do not want to be to wasteful. It also has to be cast under fairly high pressure that has its own hazards involved in that process. It took me about a year to figure how to cast larger items. I learn something new with each one that I do.

Far as lenses go I have a SMC A 50mm 1:1.7 on the way. Probably paid to much for it but it looks to be a pristine lens. If it is as sharp as my SMC A 28mm 2.8 I will be very pleased. even if it does not work well for my product photos I will still have a fun lens to play with.

Thanks,

Al
12-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Light, Science and Magic is the best book for lighting
Yes it is.