Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 05:38 AM   #16
Forum Member

Tri-DA Ltd

Good idea - in fact the Pentax Evil should be a Leica M9, but at the price of a K-r :d
With a tri-elmar 28-35-50 or 16-18-21 lens starting at f/2 (instead of f/4 for the Leica) at the price of a DA40 !

12-30-2010, 05:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ShowMeTheMoney Quote
Something similar to those Leica lenses - the 3-in-1 "primes" - what are they called? The Leica WATE/MATE lenses(?) would be interesting. Actually, I'd like Pentax to come out with one in the current K-mount, mirrorless or no mirrorless.

An f/2 lens that switches between 15-18-23mm that's fairly compact would take care of 90% of my shooting. Of course, it has to be significantly smaller than a zoom, otherwise, there would be no point for me.

*I haven't actually seen the Leica WATE or MATE in person, but they look fairly compact from web images I've seen.
Ever seen the DA14mmf2.8? If not, look it up. Now take a guess how big it would be at f2. Now take a guess how big it will be if it can (semi) zoom. That's not going to be compact

I do like the concept though.
12-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can only have an f2 zoom if you have a really small sensor.

Quite frankly, I would prefer we stick with APS-C. I'm not even sure we need new lenses. The whole limited line of lenses seems purpose-made for this sort of thing .
12-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
You can only have an f2 zoom if you have a really small sensor.

Quite frankly, I would prefer we stick with APS-C. I'm not even sure we need new lenses. The whole limited line of lenses seems purpose-made for this sort of thing .
This would be true (and absolutely ideal) if you could use the K mount for mirrorless but this was widely contested in an earlier rumor thread. I will be satisfied as long as there is a compact adapter while not losing functionality.

As far as the earlier argument about making a compact camera vs making one similar to the Fuji S9100 I think Pentax needs to do both (just like Panasonic). I prefer the larger size but the larger size is likely taking more customers from entry level DSLR (currently the K-x). The compact size becomes a selling point for those upgrading from P&S (a ripe market with a lot of potential). And it's also great for families (esp husband/wives) since you can share lenses when you get one compact and one full size camera. I could easily see myself getting a 2nd body (accepting K mount w/ adapter) for my gf to sometimes use and for myself to use when I needed a compact camera.

12-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They could change the alignment in the DA ltd series for a shorter registry distance and mount and call it good. The first 2 would be the 21mm ltd and 70mm ltd followed by the 15mm and 40 mmltd lenses. I stuck to the rules. 2 sets of 2 lenses over time.
12-31-2010, 12:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

While we're wishfully thinking out loud here...

Assuming it will be MILC or EVIL with an APS-C sensor
with the shorter registration distance: (hence lenses will be rangefinder small similar to Leica M mount lenses)
20mm f2 (or f1.8)... this will make it ~31mm equiv (similar to the FA31)
28mm f1.8... this will make it ~ 42mm equiv (similar to the FA43)

2 adapters (no optics in it so I'm not breaking the 2 lens rule )
- for existing Pentax K mount DA and FA primes and zooms
- for existing Leica M mount lenses

with this we can still have the ability to use the DA, FA, and DA-L lenses

and with the 2 lenses above some fast speed lenses for the enthusiasts

Wishfully thinking it will be Full Frame , then
again with a smaller registration distance ...
35mm f1.4 (see current Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 for size similarity)
50mm f1.0 (see current Voigtalnder 50mm Nokton)

similar 2 adapters above offering same adaptability to Pentax K, DA, FA and Leica M mount lenses

In either of the above 2 scenarios Pentax/Hoya can capture
-zoom lovers, with the existing DA zooms
-fast prime lovers, with the 2 new lenses
-film body owners wishing for a digital camera to use their legacy lenses on: read Leica owners who don't want to spend 2-3k for a used M8 or 7k for an M9 as well as those of us who have Legacy Pentax film lenses.

Market is ripe IMHO for a compact digital interchangeable lens camera... look at how many M9s are selling (for $7,000!) and the hype around the announced and still non-existent Fuji x100 (expected to sell for $1000!)

So, how's that? 2 optical lenses and non-optical adapters (not a lens so I don't think I broke the rules huh?) and for 2 scenarios.
06-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #22
BAB
Site Supporter

Should have a K-mount

A new EVIL from Pentax with an APS-C sensor should have a K-mount, as the mount is small enough to fit on almost any mirror-less camera body. Current Pentax lenses would need a short extension tube, but I see no reason why new lenses of the pancake type, or telescoping type (see old Leica and new Olympus lenses) couldn't be produced to mount directly to the camera body. It would be the perfect combo, one I currently use with the Panasonic GF-1.

The K mount is about the same size as the Panasonic mount on the GF-1. I use a Novoflex adapter to mount Pentax lenses. The Novoflex adapter allows use of DA Limiteds by including an aperture adjustment in the adapter itself. No auto focus, but Limiteds work well in aperture mode on the GF-1 with one stipulation: the focus throw is very short on DA lenses and hence one must take special care in focusing by using the magnifier in the GF-1 body.

Which two lenses would I want with a new Pentax EVIL? I prefer primes (though I certainly don't eschew zooms), so I'd suggest two pancakes, 16 or 17mm f/4 or 2.8 and a 70mm f/2 or 2.8 macro. Next release should contain a zoom of about 17 to 55 (or 70) mm f/4-5.6 and a longer zoom of 50-200 mm f/4-5.6. Most serious Pentax photographers will be using their limiteds with the camera, but if there was a clamoring for more quality pancake primes, the next two should be 35-40mm f/2.8 and 100-135mm f/3.5 or 4.0.

The market for this type camera isn't entirely restricted to point and shooters wanting to move up to something with better image quality. It also contains a lot of serious photographers looking for a light camera using the same lenses as their SLR. For either backup or travel or just knocking around. Pentax would miss a great opportunity if the K-mount isn't used on this mirror-less wonder.

BAB