Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Focal length is going to be a big part of this. Look at this image, and remember that we are comparing 85 and 115mm effective focal lengths (for portraits)

Typically, I would suggest that the DA* 55 is going to be better for looser portraits (upper-half) while the FA77 is going to be better for headshots and tight shots of one's face (as seen above). Different faces demand different lengths for optimal compression, however.

Now if this is to be a general-purpose lens, I would go with the DA 55 just because I find the mild telephoto more useful overall than something close to 80. However, for portraits, the FA 77 would likely pull ahead depending on your needs.
Nice. Can see that 70mm and beyond, it's as good as it gets.

12-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Yeah, I find the same thing. Remember to do the focal length conversion when you reference my image... so 70mm on digital * 1.5 = 105mm in the image.

If you don't require the most speed, I can attest that the DA 70 is a great portrait lens.
12-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #18
Forum Member

Just a clarificaiton; The FA 50mm f/1.4 is still available new. B&H has it in stock now for $360. The other options are quite a bit more.

The DA* 55mm is going to give you an extra half-stop and (based on reviews...I don't own the 77mm Ltd) a little more sharpness up until f/4. Can't comment on color and contrast comparison.

Given the two lenses you listed, I assume that you are looking for a fast portrait lens. If, however, you are looking for general use and don't absolutely need the large aperature, the 70mm Ltd is also very good (actually better optically than the others) and a little cheaper than either. However, as paperbag846 mentioned, as a general use lens, the 55mm (or even the 43mm) will probably be more usable.
12-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #19
TKH
Veteran Member

Here we wrote nearly everything you wanted to know:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/73406-da%2A55-vs-fa77.html

12-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #20
WRB
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone and TKH for the great link.
12-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the answer is a DA 40mm AND DA 70mm (for the same money) :P
12-30-2010, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #22
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I may still chime in:
I have 77ltd but since I rarely shoot above 50 I don't use it all that much, but I'm planning a month exclusively for SiJ project. I used to have DA*55 but returned it to shop after week because I think in IQ it's inferior to K50/1.2.
Now, I'd say it really depends on what do you want to use the lens for. General use short tele? Pick 55. It's very versatile focal length. I found it very good for portraits albeit tad too sharp. PF was bit annoying (but that's personal opinion) and OOF wide open wasn't the best IMO. But there is still something I like about the lens, I just can't put my finger on it. If you are, on the other side, looking for mid fast tele, pick 77. It's IQ is great. From wide open. OOF is better than *55 and it's much smaller. AF speed is just about the same. Rendering-wise, I think 77 is tad better and has bit better "pop" to the images.
As last thing to say, if you are after fast lenses I thing it makes perfect sense to own both. My intended line up was: 24-31-43-55-77. I decided to keep 50 over 55 for IQ only. Spread from 30-77 over 4 lenses easiy gives you gaps big enough. But focusing on your question. Difference between those two lenses is big enough to have both!
Good luck choosing...
12-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I used to have DA*55 but returned it to shop after week because I think in IQ it's inferior to K50/1.2.
Now, I'd say it really depends on what do you want to use the lens for. General use short tele? Pick 55. It's very versatile focal length. I found it very good for portraits albeit tad too sharp. PF was bit annoying (but that's personal opinion) and OOF wide open wasn't the best IMO. But there is still something I like about the lens, I just can't put my finger on it.
I've never used a K50/1.2 and just don't want to start down that road of collecting the old classics (I may never find the exit off that road!), but I have seen images posted from it and can't argue over the IQ. It is superb. I'm so pleased with the DA*55, though, that I don't really feel like I'm missing something. I agree that it may not be at its best wide-open. I think its sweet spot (for portraits, at least) is f/2. I know what you mean by possibly being too sharp for portraits, but I find that to be part of the "technically wonderful blank slate" that I wrote about earlier. I can easily selectively soften areas where that would be desirable, but there's no substitute for innate sharpness when you want it.

12-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #24
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frankly, if I never owned K50/1.2 I'd agree with above. But I have tried the promised land if it's the ultimately convenient 50ish then 55DA* is the pick but if it's ultimate IQ one is after, then the 50/1.2 steals the show. Having said that, as I've mentioned elsewhere IF I wouldn't have tried the 50/1.2 then the DA* would be the top dog as I think it's second only to that one although 43ltd is breathing on it's neck...