Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #241
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
anyone care to say the kitlens is as good as the Sigma 17-50? and please, no more f8 alibis.
Anyone care to say that they are the same price? And please no dodging the WR issue.

Steve

(This is ridiculous...)

02-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #242
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
List Price:
Street Price:
  • 18-55 kit = ~$110-$150
  • 16-45/4 = ~$400
Here in the U.S., 3x is definitely the multiplier.

Steve
I don't live in the US.
02-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #243
Forum Member

"It is not difficult to understand you when you write:"

I'm guessing for you it is because you keep using your Beetle to Porsche analogy when I have only compared Beetles to Beetles, I'm not sure which part of "abundantly clear" you didn't understand.

"And then we can look through the galleries and see images that contradict those assertions. As mentioned, more than a few here have complained of rejecting more than a few bad copies of much more expensive (and higher-rated) lenses before finding a good one. So the bad-copy situation isn't limited to the DA18-55."

I can find just as many images to confirm what I am saying, probably more, but hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good argument. I agree that bad copy is not restricted to the 18-55mm, I never said it was.

"Your statements reflect your own experience, and apparently do not reflect the experiences of others here. You seem to dismiss others' reports that contradict you. I regret that you had bad copies. I hope you are happy with your much more expensive glass. Cheers."

You missed the word "Some" before the word "others", I am not alone in my experience of this. My other kit lenses are cheaper than the 18-55mm WR, and yes, I am much happier with them
02-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #244
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone care to say that they are the same price? And please no dodging the WR issue.

Steve

(This is ridiculous...)
I suppose you use the lens 100% all the time under wet conditions.

02-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #245
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
(This is ridiculous...)
Best quote of the thread.
Nevertheless, the more ridiculous thread is comparing the "kit" to the DA*.

On the other hand, it's almost free with a body and it works. That is pretty exciting these days.
02-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #246
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No matter how much I like all of my other lenses compared to the kit, I simply can't let the kit go.

I feel like whatever money I would get for it is not comparable to how useful it can be in a pinch.
02-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
No matter how much I like all of my other lenses compared to the kit, I simply can't let the kit go.

I feel like whatever money I would get for it is not comparable to how useful it can be in a pinch.
exactly. i would use the kit in weather i would not use the others in
and given how little it would return it wouldn't buy me any manual lenses i don't already own

02-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
exactly. i would use the kit in weather i would not use the others in
and given how little it would return it wouldn't buy me any manual lenses i don't already own
In weather or in high theft areas, as well.
02-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
In weather or in high theft areas, as well.
i'll remember the high theft areas next time i go out to the suburbs
02-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #250
Veteran Member

i'll remember the high theft areas next time i go out to the suburbs
There are those, and then there are the famous tourist traps where thieves have been known to shadow the tourist with the most expensive-looking lens. Actually having a Pentax may be a good start because they don't know what they are worth or where they will be selling them.
02-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #251
Veteran Member

There are those, and then there are the famous tourist traps where thieves have been known to shadow the tourist with the most expensive-looking lens. Actually having a Pentax may be a good start because they don't know what they are worth or where they will be selling them.

I've been through more than a few tourist traps, but generally avoid them on vacation (i was in Paris a good 8 times before i saw the Eiffel Tower up close and that was because i made a wrong turn )
usually i now have old M primes on the camera, confuses them even more (or a big old medium format even less likely to get stolen)
02-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #252
Veteran Member

I've been through more than a few tourist traps, but generally avoid them on vacation (i was in Paris a good 8 times before i saw the Eiffel Tower up close and that was because i made a wrong turn )
usually i now have old M primes on the camera, confuses them even more (or a big old medium format even less likely to get stolen)
The place I used the 18-55 the most was Barcelona. La Rambla and the old section are known for the guys who will follow the biggest lens. You hear it from everyone from the people who write reviews on Tripadvisor to the cab driver who takes you from the airport. The cab driver even pointed out a specific individual on the way.

The DA Ltds on a K-x were nice for hiding the quality as well.
02-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #253
Veteran Member

The place I used the 18-55 the most was Barcelona. La Rambla and the old section are known for the guys who will follow the biggest lens. You hear it from everyone from the people who write reviews on Tripadvisor to the cab driver who takes you from the airport. The cab driver even pointed out a specific individual on the way.

The DA Ltds on a K-x were nice for hiding the quality as well.
good to know we are thinking of barcelona on one of the next couple of trips
I have friends who stayed by La Rambla in an apartment they rented, but the most sophisticated camera he had with him was an old yashica D so not much chance of theft there (I'm looking at one on RFF for a whopping $99 plus $20 shipping to canada, less than my last medium format film order was )
02-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #254
Veteran Member

good to know we are thinking of barcelona on one of the next couple of trips
I have friends who stayed by La Rambla in an apartment they rented, but the most sophisticated camera he had with him was an old yashica D so not much chance of theft there (I'm looking at one on RFF for a whopping $99 plus $20 shipping to canada, less than my last medium format film order was )
I stayed on the upper end of La Rambla and loved the city. Once you get off La Rambla and away from a few other tourist magnets, it is said to be no more theft prone than any other big city. Two friends have lost wallets on La Rambla, though. I kept my camera inconspicuous and my wallet out of my pants pockets, and I had no trouble.
02-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #255
Veteran Member

I stayed on the upper end of La Rambla and loved the city. Once you get off La Rambla and away from a few other tourist magnets, it is said to be no more theft prone than any other big city. Two friends have lost wallets on La Rambla, though. I kept my camera inconspicuous and my wallet out of my pants pockets, and I had no trouble.
my travel wallet is on a chain and moves to my front pocket in these areas, my jeans are tight enough i'd notice an attempt. being an old punk i'm usually a low target as i'm not dressed like i have anything worth stealing most days