Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another vote for OME53. I've been using one for over a year, maybe closer to 2. The magnification is noticable and useful. The status line in VF is ok but to see the corners of the frame one needs to press the eye right at it. My only complaint would be that once I managed to "steam it" meaning I used my camera in rani and water got between the two elements of the eye cup (obviously it's not WR) upon entering the room it condensed and I had to take the eyecup apart to clean it since it was still "foggy" after 3 days.
Other then that it's a great value IMO and well worth having especially for MF

12-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use an OM53 for some years now; it is an useful accessory I recommand; 2 remarks :
1 If you want to rely of the focusing screen for precise focus you must be aware that there can be a bias caused by different distance from lens to focusing screen and from lens to sensor; some theads in this forum have already discussed this point, you may have to adjust the focusing screen position by replacing the shim that position the focus screen.
2 As the OM53 is a protuberant piece, I have managed to broke the viewfinder glass when the camera was hurt in its casing; I am not alone to have encountered this issue; the fix costed 120 euros, so I recommand to remove the OM53 before getting the body back in its case for transport.
The main usage for me is to control that the AF caught correctly the focus point I wanted it to catch; this is easy with the magnifier, as rhe red light in the viewfinder is someway too large to precisely designate the exact focus point
Hope that helps
12-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
I have one, but from what I remember, it added more of a tunnel effect, since I wear glasses on my K100D. Haven't felt inclined to have it sent out to me from back home, and I find the K20D's VF decent enough.
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Well, I just ordered the new Tenpa as curiosity got the better of me. $45 incl. $16 for shipping. I'll update after I've had a chance to try it out, though it will probably be several weeks before I even receive it from Hong Kong.

12-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by prsjnb Quote
I found that it provides sufficient magnification to make critical focussing, whether macro or telephoto, much less of a strain on the eye and nerves. Its use has not affected my ability to see the information display in the viewfinder of my K20D (N.B. I do not wear spectacles when using the camera).

Worth every penny/cent IMHO.

Jon

I agree with Jon, works great on my K20 but beware if you wear spectacles.