Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
O me53

anyone using a OME53 ?eyecup

any disadvantages to using it?.

ive always felt the disadvantage of a cropped format sensor, was the smaller VF..this would seem to combat that some...??

12-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm planning on getting one to see if it will help with manual focus. I think the disadvantage is that it can make seeing the status line information at the bottom of the image more difficult to see unless you press your eye hard into the eyecup. This is difficult for those wearing glasses...
12-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I'm planning on getting one to see if it will help with manual focus. I think the disadvantage is that it can make seeing the status line information at the bottom of the image more difficult to see unless you press your eye hard into the eyecup. This is difficult for those wearing glasses...
This is true, it does require more of an effort to see the info line, but its well worth it for the magnification, IMO. Of course, I don't wear glasses, either (yet). BTW, this thread should probably be moved out of the lens section.
12-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The magnification is pretty noticeable and I have never had a problem seeing the bottom line and I don't press my eye any harder against the piece than I did with the original, but like DogLover I do not wear glasses and would think glasses would make a big difference when trying to see the bottom line. IMO I'm not sure anyone with glasses will be able to fully utilize the benefits of this eyepiece due to your eye being recessed from the piece and you will have to move/tilt your head to see all of the VF but for non-glasses people it is well worth the $.

12-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using one since my DS days and have not had a problem reading the the bottom line in the VF unless it's very bright out, in which case I think everyone has trouble reading it. Actually the only problem with the OME53 is that the diopter adjusting slider is a bit more exposed. I've hit that slider more than once. One of the greatest benefits of the OME53 is that it sticks out from the camera further and keeps your nose away from the rear lcd, eliminating nose smuges.

NaCl(the benefits of it waaaaayyyy out weigh the cons)H2O
12-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #6

I found that it provides sufficient magnification to make critical focussing, whether macro or telephoto, much less of a strain on the eye and nerves. Its use has not affected my ability to see the information display in the viewfinder of my K20D (N.B. I do not wear spectacles when using the camera).

Worth every penny/cent IMHO.

Jon
12-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I've been using one since my DS days and have not had a problem reading the the bottom line in the VF unless it's very bright out, in which case I think everyone has trouble reading it. Actually the only problem with the OME53 is that the diopter adjusting slider is a bit more exposed. I've hit that slider more than once. One of the greatest benefits of the OME53 is that it sticks out from the camera further and keeps your nose away from the rear lcd, eliminating nose smuges.

YES, I totally forgot about that, getting my nose off the rear of the camera was my main motivation for getting the OME-53 in the first place. The magnification was just a happy bonus. I've had these on every body I've ever had.

12-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Have 4 of 'em, used on 6 various bodies that I have, as indicated above
benefits far exceed any negatives, tend to use matte portion of screen
or have no choice (ZX-L's) with my longer focal lengths, 400mm
and longer, works great. one on a ME-super is viewfinder nirvana.
on the FA-1 finder of my LX is something to see but does vignette a bit
also a big plus were no diopter adjustment is available
biggest issue I have is overall construction, little delicate to switch from
body to body a lot, why I have 4
12-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

Agreed completely. It's much better on my K10D. I tried a Katz Eye but didn't like the metering effects with P-TTL flashes so I got the magnifier. Big difference. I can see the bottom just fine, but very seldom wear glasses when taking pictures.
12-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use the OME53 with a split prism focus screen - a huge step up from the standard eyepiece and screen.
12-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought the Pentax eyepiece (OME53) but quickly sold it when I found a better eyepiece--the KPS 1.3x U13. It costs a lot more than the Pentax, but well worth it in my eyes, especially when I do macro work. I also added a split prism--now manual focus is a sport again, as opposed to throwing darts with a blindfold on.

Sewebster has mentioned the only disadvantage I know of, though, as others have said, it is more than made up for in its performance.
12-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I bought the Pentax eyepiece (OME53) but quickly sold it when I found a better eyepiece--the KPS 1.3x U13. It costs a lot more than the Pentax, but well worth it in my eyes, especially when I do macro work. I also added a split prism--now manual focus is a sport again, as opposed to throwing darts with a blindfold on.

Sewebster has mentioned the only disadvantage I know of, though, as others have said, it is more than made up for in its performance.
I remember seeing this and another brand (Tenpa, I think). I am tempted to try one of these as I think I would prefer to have more of an eye-cup design. Hoodman makes some really nice ones but they currently have no interest in making anything specifically for Pentax. Maybe they should come up with one of these universal models.
12-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ive read elsewhere that it crops the viewfinder on a K7/K7..is that a urban myth?

Jewell. thanks for the tip on the other branded eyecup..Ill check it out...
12-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Doglover: I am tempted to try one of these as I think I would prefer to have more of an eye-cup design.
The KPS actually gives a choice betwen eye-cups. I use the full eyecup, because it shrouds my seeing eye from all light, except that in the viewfinder, which allows my pupil to max dilation instead of having it constricted due to the extraneous light. The more my seeing eye's pupil is dilated, the better I'm going to be abel to cope with manual focusing in the crop-DSLRs, crap viewfinders. I think an eyecup is worth its weight in gold, and very underrated.
12-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I was just looking at the Tenpas on ebay. They apparently have a new design that also allows for different eyecup positions, along with a few other improvements. They also don't require a screwdriver to install/uninstall. I have read that they have a more comfortable eyecup, too. You can find more positive comments on the KPS units, though.