Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I got my Super Takumar

28/3.5 in the mail this evening.
Beautiful lens in great shape, even the case is very nice. Glass is very nice but only one thing. It was advertised as having a snappy oil free aperture but it doesn't. The little pin you push, itself, feels sticky but I'm not sure about this because this is my first screw mount lens and I'm not sure if it's the aperture blades being oily or not. I mean it works and I suppose it's not that big a deal because it looks like you have to use the lens with stop down metering anyway. But durn it, it was advertised as having a snappy oil free aperture. The guy has 100% feedback and I hate to ruin that but....... I haven't contacted him yet, still mulling over what to do.
It was almost dark by the time I could get out to grab some shots but I did shoot some and they look great. Really nice color, contrast and sharp. I am pleasantly surprised. This lens is awesome except for the aperture.
If I set the lens to f/16 then flip the switch between Auto and Manual the aperture IS snappy. On the other hand if I set the aperture to 3.5 and the switch to auto and then push the pin things slow down, it sure seems the pin is the problem. Am I way off base here? Is there anything I can do to free it up? WD40?, lol. What do you guys think?

Hmmm, here are some of his words in the auction:
"The Lens has a clean and close to blemish free barrel, a smooth focus ring, a snappy aperture ring, an oil-free and responsive aperture and excellent glass. It does have some minor internal dust, but nothing serious."
A "responsive aperture", so that's what that means. It does respond. I do believe it's oil free. He got me with his play of words, hmmmmm.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 10-01-2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: more thoughts
10-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not quite sure that I understand your problem.
If you set the lens to 3.5, the switch to Auto, and push the pin, nothing is supposed to happen. The lens is supposed to stay on 3.5.

Anyway, the pin has no function when you use the lens on a bayonet camera.

Newer Takumars has a tiny tiny second pin which prevents the Auto/Man switch to stop the lens down unless mounted on a camera (i.e. the second pin must be pushed in by the camera body).
10-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's interesting, our experience is very similar. Mine was also advertised in a way that would make me think that by pushing the pin and releasing, that the action was "snappy". The pin on my Super-Takumar 28 f3.5 will occasionally respond a little slowly (small aperture settings ie +f11). The more I use it the less this problem seems to be. I think the old grease is taking a little use to loosen up. At any rate IMHO, with the way the lens is being used with the dSLR's, this is a non-issue. If I had an old spotmatic, I would probably feel differently!

I will say, the more I use this lens, the more I am liking it.

FWIW, I did take a dry cloth and cleaned a little bit of grease from the pin itself. I worked it back and forth several times until no grease was showing on the exposed part of the pin.
10-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just got my first Super Takumar the other day, and the pin is as smooth as can possibly be.
However it really doesn't mater since like Ole says it doesn't work with our cameras.

It sounds to me like the person was being as honest as possible in the description, however his idea of a snappy oil free aperture is different than yours

If I was in your shoes and the lens took good pictures I'd just use it and be happy with it.

Have fun with it and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the pic's

10-02-2007, 04:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'll just live with it, especially as you say it's a non-issue with our cameras.

This is a Super-Takumar (Model I) (Late) post 1962 lens, the Model II appeared in 1966. This is very cool. I like this old stuff:-). This lens is around 42-45 years old!!!
Talk about build quality, the focusing ring is still smooth as silk:-).
10-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Takumars are like Lays potato chips....."Betcha can't eat just one"

Fortunately, they are a very inexpensive indulgence.