Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #1

Does the Vivitar 19mm f3.8 have the infamous Ricoh pin?

Hi folks

Pretty easy question, I'm looking to buy one of these but I'm not 100% sure if this lens has the infamous Ricoh pin or not?

I've done a bit of searching and it seems the pin is easy enough to remove, but I just wanted to be certain that lens does/doesn't have it before I buy it.

The pin itself is at about 6 o'clock to the red dot on the mount?

I'd be mounting it on my K-r, and apart from the Ricoh pin, there'd be no other issues with mounting it to the body?

Thanks

12-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The presence of the "Ricoh" pin does not automatically mean the lens will get stuck. Later lenses have a wider, more rounded, contact that will not stick in the AF. In some Vivitar lenses the pin retracts when the aperture isn't set to A.
12-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

From all I've read it would take just 5 mins with a screwdriver to remove it. There are plenty of descriptions on the web on how to do this .. just don't be tempted to try it on your mount before removing it !
12-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The answer is NO. No Ricoh pin.

12-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummmm...the question would be what mount is on the Viv?

-- screw mount (m42): No Ricoh pin

-- plain K-mount (No "A" or "P" or "AE" position on aperture ring): No Ricoh pin

-- K-mount (other): Look for the pin

The last point sounds simplistic, but that really is the best way. Google images for "Ricoh Pin" and you will find plenty of illustrations showing what to look for.

Steve
01-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
It is a K-mount with an "A" position on the aperture ring. Guess that means it has the pin?
01-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
It is a K-mount with an "A" position on the aperture ring. Guess that means it has the pin?
It might and it might not. Vivitar made three variants; Pentax-A compatible, Ricoh-P compatible, and Pentax-A/Ricoh-P combined. The only way to know for sure is to examine the mount. As mentioned above, the risk is lower for the "ball" version of the pin and minor surgery can correct the problem regardless of version.

Steve
01-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

viv 19/3.8

Mine has the PK-A/R mount and has no issues with being used on the Pentax SF-1 film SLR or the K-x DSLR. Hope this helps.
Sorry no pic of it on the K-x. It's below zero and I don't want to walk out to the truck to get another camera

Eric

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
01-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

apart from the Ricoh pin, there'd be no other issues with mounting it to the body?
beware of this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/126565-post3.html
01-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

better yet:

http://www.robertstech.com/compat.htm
01-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I had the same lens that erkie (above) has and had no issues mounting or removing that lens from my K10D.
01-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by erkie Quote
Mine has the PK-A/R mount and has no issues with being used on the Pentax SF-1 film SLR or the K-x DSLR. Hope this helps.
Sorry no pic of it on the K-x. It's below zero and I don't want to walk out to the truck to get another camera

Eric
Eric,
Thanks for sharing your images. As we can see, the lens is clearly marked PK-A/R. I can't tell for sure, but the pin itself should be visible in the lower photo towards the top of the lens flange at about 120 degrees clockwise from the mount lock groove in about the same position as the AF drive gear on a FA of DA lens.

Steve
01-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Viv 19

Here is a photo of the viv next to a pentax f 35-70 zoom.

The only extra pin I see is identified on the left lens in the photo. I have also pointed out the AF screw drive location on the right lens. The possible Ricoh pin is smaller that the contact pins and very rounded. It also does not protrude outward as much as the contact pins. So No issues with this one on My Kx.. But really look at the mount because I have seen Rikenon lenses with a very dastardly designed ricoh pins.

Hope this helps !

Eric

Oh I just wanted to add that this is the only "A" Lens that I have that I have to enter the focul length manually. The camera stops it down automatically like any other "A" lens but I have to chose either the 18or 20mm setting manually. Not sure why. Also Ths lens is NOTICEABLY SHARPER than My 18-55 Kit lens And distortion isn't an issue for me with this one. But a good lens hood is VERY helpful. But then I find them helpful to all lenses
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by erkie; 01-02-2011 at 02:00 PM.
01-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the all info guys.

I've since confirmed the lens has the plastic flange on the rear - see pic below:

The flange looks a lot smaller (not as wide) as it was in the links posted earlier. Will this need to be cut down/cut off?

Is the Ricoh pin the located to the left of the closest mounting screw in the picture? It looks about 6 o'clock to the red mounting dot.

Cheers
01-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Thanks for the all info guys.

I've since confirmed the lens has the plastic flange on the rear - see pic below:

The flange looks a lot smaller (not as wide) as it was in the links posted earlier. Will this need to be cut down/cut off?

Is the Ricoh pin the located to the left of the closest mounting screw in the picture? It looks about 6 o'clock to the red mounting dot.

Cheers
The flange is not the extended type and will not need to be cut down.

Yes. The "Ricoh" pin is the pin at 6 o'clock from the mounting mark. If it has rounded edges it most likely will not get stuck.

Ricoh Pin - a set on Flickr