Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Sigma OS feature combined with Pentax Shake Reduction?

Hi all,

New to the forum first of all so hello.
I use a Pentax K10D and I'm looking to purchase a larger telephoto than my Pentax DA 50-200mm, and currently on my list is a Sigma 70-300mm OS lens for it's reasonable price and OS feature which I thought would be a useful feature for panning shots since I do a lot of motorsports photography.
I just wanted to know if anyone can let me know if this feature by Sigma incorporated into some of its lenses is okay to use with the in-body shake reduction in the K10D. Will they work well together or combat each other during high-speed panning shots. I don't have a monopod yet as I really haven't needed it with the 200mm, but if the shake reduction and OS don't work together to 'double' the shake reduction feature than I may have to work a monopod into my budget.

Thanks,

Charles S.

12-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You do not use both systems together.
12-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've had that same thought before, and it would be cool if you could use a stabilized lens on a stabilized-sensor body and get some kind of super-stabilized multiplication effect, but unfortunately that is not that case. I don't know the technical reasons, but maybe somebody else on here can explain why it doesn't work. Perhaps the lens OS would by "zigging" while the sensor OS would be "zagging".

Even so, it is good to see OS lenses becoming available in Pentax mount. I own the Sigma 50-150mm and used to own the Pentax 55-300mm, and my experience has been that my K-x's stabilization is not stellar at longer focal lengths. I seem to remember my Olympus doing better. And some of the newer OS implementations in lenses are reported to be very effective.

On a related note, I recently wrote Tamron to see if their new 70-300mm VC lens would be available in K-mount, and I received a reply saying there were no plans for a Pentax release. Bummer, since that is supposed to be a very good lens optically and the VC is supposed to be very effective.
12-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few comments:

* SpecialK is correct. You use either the lens OS or the in-camera SR (or IS). Do not use the OS and IS together. They are simply incompatible.

* There is a very interesting article on a well-documented comparison in terms of performances between the lens OS and in-camera IS:
Image Stabilization Test: Olympus E-520 SLR Body - SLRgear.com!

The basic outcomes were simple:
"the performance of the Olympus E-520's IS system certainly demonstrated that there's no inherent reason why sensor-based IS systems should underperform lens-based ones"
"Overall, the Olympus E-520 delivered really excellent IS performance, easily on par with the best lens-based systems we've tested to date"

* Lens OS or camera IS should not be used when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

The Pentax SR (shake reduction) is well respected and it gives some excellent results.

I use my K-7 handheld all the time and I always use SR (ie the in-camera IS). I did some systematic comparison with and without SR, and the SR is definitely very effective. I would expect the same from the K-x SR.

Hope that the comments will help... and Happy New Year.

Last edited by hcc; 12-31-2010 at 04:31 PM.
12-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

From first hand experience, I can say that having in-lens stabilization (Sigma OS) and in-body stabilization on at the same time will cause a conflict, negating any effect (possibly making it even worse than having both off).

I imagine it has something to do with both of them independently floating. They both operate under the assumption that nothing else is moving. OS moves the lens elements to keep the image stable. At the same time, the sensor also moves relative to what it predicts the image should be doing due to inertia (it has nothing to do with the image itself, but how much shaking the sensor experiences). Since the image is already "stable" from the lens OS, and thus does not move as the sensor expects, moving the sensor again introduces its own new movement relative to the stable image, causing blur.

Last edited by Cannikin; 12-30-2010 at 11:45 PM.
12-30-2010, 11:27 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Using both systems together will rupture the space-time continuum and open up a wormhole. Don't do it.
12-31-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Using both systems together will rupture the space-time continuum and open up a wormhole. Don't do it.
I read that in the manual, but didn't really believe it.

12-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Okay thanks for all the answers! Very helpful.
Since the OS feature seems like the only 'plus' on that lens compared to the cheaper Macro version of the 70-300mm I may just purchase the cheaper one. That being said I still have a couple weeks worth of research to do lol.
Happy new years
02-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Forum Member

I searched google and just found this thread.

I had been using combined OS in my Sigma 17-70mm and sensor-shift in my K-r for months, under the premise that the shake reduction would be doubly effective. I suppose at times I just thought I was being careless and not holding still enough, or that stabilization methods are not very powerful to begin with.

I feel pretty stupid now...

But anyways, thanks everyone. This was becoming a big problem for me. Now I know.
02-02-2012, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I'm glad that you finally came across this thread, but if a powerful race of malevolent aliens enters our dimension through a wormhole, I'm going hold you personally responsible.