Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* 16-50 Weather sealing?

I have a a DA* 16-50. The brochure said that is is environmentally sealed. This I took to mean weather resistant, not water proof. Well I have had it out in a very light shower. After this the auto focus stopped working. I tried the DA* on a couple of K20Ds and it failed then too. An FA lens and some Sigmas still worked on all cameras. Even they had been out in similar conditions. Well leaving the DA* inside for a day seems to fix the problem. Using it over and over also after it starts focusing again appears to help.

Any ideas?

I went with this lens because of the weather sealing. I hope I haven't made a mistake!

Thanks.

12-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A light shower shouldn't have any effect on the DA*16-50. I used mine in much worse weather. If possible I would return the lens and ask for a better copy.
12-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Possibly this AF problem doesnt even have anything to do with being in the rain, could be a coincidence.
12-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

I am sorry to hear of your trouble.

Like the earlier posts: the DA* lens series is weather-resistant (WR). Your lens should have no pb in a light shower.

If, however, your lens is soaked, place it in the sun for a couple of hours. It will try very quickly. I do this with many kind of electronics and it helps to dry them.

12-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you may be having sdm trouble and its just a coincindence that it happend after a light shower, the DA* lenses are better sealed than the WR lenses.

Many people with * lenses wash their lens and camera's off under a tap of running water to clean it and have had no problems.
01-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
I have a a DA* 16-50. The brochure said that is is environmentally sealed. This I took to mean weather resistant, not water proof. Well I have had it out in a very light shower. After this the auto focus stopped working. I tried the DA* on a couple of K20Ds and it failed then too. An FA lens and some Sigmas still worked on all cameras. Even they had been out in similar conditions. Well leaving the DA* inside for a day seems to fix the problem. Using it over and over also after it starts focusing again appears to help.

Any ideas?

I went with this lens because of the weather sealing. I hope I haven't made a mistake!

Thanks.
Das Objektiv ist WR.
01-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

AussieTrev... how long have you had the lens and did you buy it new? I agree with the others: The DA* 16-50 is weather-resistant and a light shower should have given you no problems. I suppose a quality-control problem with a seal is possible... but tougefc may be right: It sounds like you're having SDM problems.

01-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My K 7 + DA*16-50 - combo survived this last summer without difficulties.
A light shower should be a piece of cake...

Last edited by PePe; 04-01-2016 at 10:08 AM.
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Had a big coup,e of days with the lens. Most of the time it was very humid. We did take a fair few waterfall photos and there was a fair amount of spray around. The lens performed faultlessly. Very fast focus and even good focus response when focusig on the falling water through the spray.

I purchased it new from B&H so expect that if there is a problem I wouldn't have any trouble with them. Unfortunately I live in Australia so I have to ship back to the States, it is then just a time issue.

I will keep using the lens and see if I can replicate the problem.

Thanks for all your help.
01-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you find AF not engaging until multuple attempts have been made to autofocus, then I'd suggest sending it back if you can Trev. It should be engaging first go. TOUGEFC is on the money - SDM on the lens is quite fragile and the delayed AF response is indicative of SDM issues.
01-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to agree on the notion of SDM possibly crapping out. I have used 16-50 in pouring rain and in wet, blowing snow ( there is such a thing down here, sticks to everything ) conditions with no problems.