Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax 55-300mm DA L plastic mount repair/replacement

Hi,

The plastic mount of my 55-300mm DA L lens (came with my K-X kit) is broken. I saw some postings about replacing the mount with other donor lenses, but not sure which donor lens mount will fit the 55-300mm lens. Would the plastic mount on the 18-55mm DA L kit lens fit? The screw locations on the 18-55mm seem to be exactly the same as the 55-300mm, but somehow the center piece looks different than the 55-300mm. I've contacted Pentax customer service yesterday, but has not yet being able to talked to the right person about ordering the replacement mount. Can a replacement mount be ordered? Thanks for any information provided.

01-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The mount is the same on the 18-55, but I'm not sure about how the elecrtical contact slots differ.

I'd send the lens in as the repair should be trivial, but I'm not sure if you can just order the part alone.
01-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #3

If you do get it fixed can you post up here what it took?
01-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
The outer rim and screw positions seem to be the same, but center part is different. This probably means it won't work, right?

55-300mm:

18-55mm:

01-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
Does anyone know approximately how much it would cost if I send it in to repair the mount? I called the repair center, and they told me they won't give me a quote unless I send it in. If it cost too much, then may be it would be better for me to spend $350 for a 55-300mm DA lens from amazon.com. This is a great telephoto zoom lens, and I hate to give it up for something so minor. Thanks.

55-300mm DA L:

18-55mm DA L:

01-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The part in the center is a light shield, to reduce the chances of stray light getting to the sensor. Sort of an interior lens hood. I have not seen these newer plastic mount lenses. On the metal mounts, the chrome portion is (apparently) the same part for all the lenses within a series. The light shield varies so it fits the rear element of the lens well. The light shield can be removed. There's tiny screws in the chrome mount.

It makes sense that the plastic mount lenses work in the same way, but just because it makes sense, it doesn't mean that Pentax did it that way. Maybe it's cheaper to make the mounts non-interchangeable.

I would still try to get Pentax to send you a new mount. The part shouldn't be that expensive, you'd only have to take apart one lens, and still have a working DAL 18-55.
01-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all your feedback. The good news is that I got Lynn from Pentax to email me the lens diagram and service parts list today. But the bad news is to figure out what parts I need to replace the mount. The diagram is very complicated and I am not sure if the description of the parts is helpful to me. I guess I will just have to take apart my lens first and then try to match the damaged part(s) with the diagram.

01-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Not of help, but how did you get that right (or wrong) ?
01-04-2011, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

If you take the lens apart, use sticky tape to hold the little gold contacts to the lens mount. They tend to fall out and go everywhere. Just put a piece of tape across the contacts, push it down well to make sure it's stuck, and trim if needed to get to the screws.
01-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #10

Original Poster
Ok, I figured it out last night. I just need the Bayonet ring assy. Part + shipping is about $15. I will post again once I have the lens fixed.
01-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just a quick thought -

I think the 55-300 zoom also comes with a stainless steel mount:

I wonder if they are interchangeable -
and would it be possible to replace the plastic mount with the stainless steel version?
01-04-2011, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
User 'PRS' has posted a way to replace the plastic mount with a metal mount on this link, but it sounds too complicated for me (also, I am not that handy), so I am going to skip it.

SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
01-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Respectedent Quote
User 'PRS' has posted a way to replace the plastic mount with a metal mount on this link, but it sounds too complicated for me (also, I am not that handy), so I am going to skip it.

SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
Many thanks for that link - useful information.

I think the only difference between using another plastic mount and a steel one may be the cutting of the plastic?

QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by PRS:
The contacts (small gold pins on springs) are in two groups: one of 3 and one of 2. The group of two is where the problem lies. You need to cut off the plastic strip that connects them, thereby allowing the small contact spring that remains in the lens body to touch the metal mount when it is fixed on. Once cut, you now have two pieces of plastic: one with four holes and one small piece with a single hole for a single contact.
01-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Respectedent Quote
Ok, I figured it out last night. I just need the Bayonet ring assy. Part + shipping is about $15. I will post again once I have the lens fixed.
Ok, I received the part via UPS yesterday and replaced the mount last night. The lens works now. The most difficult part is to make sure all the gold contacts are being lined up correctly when putting on the Bayonet ring.
01-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #15

Nice, always good to see a satisfactory fix.