Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Brand new 35 2.4 with focus issues?

Hi! I got a DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Lens for christmas. I have used it for a week now and it worked fine... this morning it focused nicely. This afternoon I got outside to grab some shots and it wouldnt AF. I could hear the motor trying to get it to focus but it couldnt do it. Even in manual focus it felt like I was meeting resistance. It will manual focus but not without a small bit of force. My 50 AF's just fine. I have taken it off and on several times, put it in and out of AF/MF a few times, screwed with the focus ring... I'm just not sure what to do other than return and exchange it...

Any ideas as to what I can try to get it to work? Should I just return it?

Anyone else have these problems? or any other problems with the new 35?

I've been so busy with the holidays and my Little Ones bday (and niece's and nephews bday, Dec is busy) that I havent been around much to see whats going on with all the new pentax stuff!

01-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It sounds like the screw of the AF drive in the body isn't making a good connection with the screw in the lens itself. It happens randomly every once to me. It might explain the symptoms, including the difficulty manual focusing if the screw connection was only partially engaged. Then again, if you've switched lenses and tried remounting the 35 a couple times, I'm not really sure what else you could try. The only other thing I would try is flipping the AF/MF switch on the body and make sure when it's in AF mode that the screw pops out all the way. Hopefully someone else might have a better answer. Good luck!
01-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That sounds like a lens problem, "the 50 AF`s work fine", send it back.
01-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks. That was what I was afraid of. I hope its not a big issue that will arise again! I will contact Amazon on Monday.