Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought it was a pretty fair review, though the cons really seem to be stretching it (and many had more to do with the body. I will point out it's probably better on a film body from a FOV standpoint and the very limited edition m mount for rangefinders is a prized lens and amongst the best available to Leica (and compatible) shooters. I'd love to see a review of it used on an m9

01-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
Maybe not bashing Pentax hashly; but my point was that his cons where more based on the more body related issues then the lens itself. For the casual reader that doesn't go indepth might get the wrong impression I thought and that's why I brought this up.

2 No use of quick AF function
3 No use of Manual Aperture control on digital bodies (K7 and K-x tested)
4 No automatic lens correction (CA and Distortion) on new bodies (although you don't really need geometric correction)
5 Odd focal length on APS-C, would be much better on a FF body
9 AF slightly noisy

All these points seems to me that they are all body related issues and less to do with the lens itself.
I don't understand 3 at all. If you can control the aperture from the body why would you want to control it from the lens? I mean it can be done, but then you'd have to shoot in M mode only (if you want to control aperture) with stop down metering. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

NaCl( "I want to make things as hard for myself as possible" )H2O
01-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a decision to make and I asked my wife to get me the DA * 55 for Christmas rather than one of the FA limiteds. The quick shift and sealing do make a difference. I also like the bokeh of the DA 55 better than I liked the bokeh of the FA 43, the little bit longer focal length and the price difference is pretty minimal at this point. The Sigma 50 is also a good option that is 150 dollars less than the FA 43.

The FA 43 has "character." That means that when it was released, it was not appreciated very much at all. However, it used to sell for a little over 300 and at that price, people could afford it (unlike the other FA limiteds) and it grows on you. At close to 600 dollars now, it is harder to make the case for it, compared to the other lenses in the "normal" range.
01-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
I just finished reading this review on the Pentax FA 43 F1.9 Limited. It seems that Pentax is really frowned upon by this reviewer and I'm guessing in general a lot of other people in the industry. Why is that is my question? Personally I love using my Pentax lenses and I have no problem with them but this just makes me wonder. Am I missing some information?

Pentax 43mm f/1.9 Shooter's Report - SLRgear.com!

Please read the Cons in the review and you will see why I'm confused.

It seems that the reviewer bashes Pentax more than just giving an unbiased review.
Well I concur with some points of the review - MF ring is really very small and AF is noisy, but the lens is great to use. I'm using it along with Contax Zeiss Planar 50 1.7 - and the Pentax is nearly as good as Zeiss - difference between two only is marginal. I'd love to try it on a film - for which this lens was designed.