Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
an inexpensive bokeh master above 70mm

I have and use the "A" 70-210mm f/4.0. I've found it to have especially good bokeh for a zoom, (or even for a f4.0 prime) and it's even got a "macro" (read close focus) feature at 70mm.

NaCl( it's only downside is that it's manual focus)H2O

01-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based on focal length alone, the 21 is worthwhile to keep for small rooms at family type gatherings. Otherwise, I say enjoy your new lenses.

01-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #18

Original Poster
Twitch, to be honest I have not spent any time with my 77 yet. Ive had it for just a few days. I bought it, and others, in preparation for a trip to London in February and I simply wanted to upgrade every lens to something faster. So really my decision was based almost alone on speed. Don't get me wrong, I admit the reviews and tales of pixie dust have colored my decision making process too. But I think the DA lenses focus on size first and the FA lenses focus on speed first. That said, the 70 was my favorite of the DA's. A superb fast as lightening, beautiful bokeh prime. It really left little to be desired, except that bump of speed found in the 77. Out of all my upgrades, it was the one I probably needed least. Sorry i can't give you field experience to justify the 77 over the 70. But this forum is FULL of information on both sides, and both lenses can justified, it really comes down to your needs. Both are top players and to distinguish between them is to split hairs. Hinman has a website chock full of info on these lenses and a bunch of field experience. Google 'hin' and you may find his blog with some pentax key words. Good luck to you and happy shooting!
01-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flopass Quote
Twitch, to be honest I have not spent any time with my 77 yet. Ive had it for just a few days. I bought it, and others, in preparation for a trip to London in February and I simply wanted to upgrade every lens to something faster. So really my decision was based almost alone on speed. Don't get me wrong, I admit the reviews and tales of pixie dust have colored my decision making process too. But I think the DA lenses focus on size first and the FA lenses focus on speed first. That said, the 70 was my favorite of the DA's. A superb fast as lightening, beautiful bokeh prime. It really left little to be desired, except that bump of speed found in the 77. Out of all my upgrades, it was the one I probably needed least. Sorry i can't give you field experience to justify the 77 over the 70. But this forum is FULL of information on both sides, and both lenses can justified, it really comes down to your needs. Both are top players and to distinguish between them is to split hairs. Hinman has a website chock full of info on these lenses and a bunch of field experience. Google 'hin' and you may find his blog with some pentax key words. Good luck to you and happy shooting!
thanks for this Enjoy your new primes.

01-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Thanks for updating us, as Ash said, it looks like the ultimate prime kit.

I'm curious how you are finding your new FA77 vs. your DA70.

I have the 15-21-40-70 set, but every now and again my mind wanders to thoughts of the FA77. Problem is, I think my DA70 is actually the best of my 4 limiteds, its IQ is just superb.... ha, damn LBA.

So, have you found much of a difference, is the 77 that much better?
I have them both, and am tempted to shed neither. I now have two 40mm lenses, and am also tempted to shed neither. I suspect I'd feel the same way if I threw the 31 and 43 into the mix. Each does things that the other does not do.