Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #1

Recommendations for DA sell off

I am addicted to bokeh. My greatest excitement is narrowing down the DOF to just my subject in sharp, solitary glory. The 50 1.4 is great for this and the 31 limited is even better. On to my dilemma. I am thinking, due to my very specific tastes here, that it would behoove me to get the fastest primes possible within the pentax brand. I have the da21, da40, and da70 limited trio. At the time I bought them my choice was made for budgetary reasons. Now that I have the 31 limited and the the 50 1.4 I find myself always coming back to them for the reasons stated above. At the cost of space in my travel bag, what are some of your opinions on trading off my trio for the fa43 limited and fa77 limited. That would give me the FA trio instead of the DA trio as I can't afford both sets. To round it of I'd splurge for the 15 limited prime in additionl. If space and ergonomics are not an issue and speed and quality are first, is this the best decision? I want to put an end, once and for all to my prime longings. 15 limited, fa 31, fa 43, 50 1.4 and fa 77 sound like my dream setup. anyone care to comment?

01-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post some of your pictures and people will be able to tell if you are addicted to bokeh and what it is you are missing out with 'just' the da limiteds or whether like some people you maybe addicted to the idea of having 'dream' lenses instead...
01-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flopass Quote
I am addicted to bokeh. My greatest excitement is narrowing down the DOF to just my subject in sharp, solitary glory. The 50 1.4 is great for this and the 31 limited is even better. On to my dilemma. I am thinking, due to my very specific tastes here, that it would behoove me to get the fastest primes possible within the pentax brand. I have the da21, da40, and da70 limited trio. At the time I bought them my choice was made for budgetary reasons. Now that I have the 31 limited and the the 50 1.4 I find myself always coming back to them for the reasons stated above. At the cost of space in my travel bag, what are some of your opinions on trading off my trio for the fa43 limited and fa77 limited. That would give me the FA trio instead of the DA trio as I can't afford both sets. To round it of I'd splurge for the 15 limited prime in additionl. If space and ergonomics are not an issue and speed and quality are first, is this the best decision? I want to put an end, once and for all to my prime longings. 15 limited, fa 31, fa 43, 50 1.4 and fa 77 sound like my dream setup. anyone care to comment?

I have these lenses and I am very happy with them all, the DA v FA argument has good points both sides and for me it really gets down to personal preference.

cheers

Neil
01-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Without going into another DA ltd vs FA ltd debate, bokeh and thin DoF fetishes should be reasonably satisfied by the FA ltds. But if thinner DoF trumps bokeh, then you may consider the Sigma 30/1.4 and Samyang 85/1.4. Otherwise, stick with your plan for FA ltds as their rendition is second to none. You may also want to consider the A 50/1.2 for a further half a stop of speed on the FA 50/1.4 - you may be tempted by this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/74819-post-you...31-2-only.html.

Enjoy
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/27090-pentax-5...on-photos.html

01-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For my budget, I'd rather play with perspective to enhance bokeh than lenses. But that doesn't sound relevant.

Get the focal lengths you don't have already first. The 15, maybe a 135. Then, when you have the cash, buy the FA 43 and compare it to the DA 40. Sell whichever you like least. Then buy the FA 77 and compare it to the DA 70. Sell whichever you like least. Buy used, so you don't take much or anything of a price hit if you turn around and sell the newer (to you) lens. Of course, if you want a bokeh monster, the FA* 85/1.4 is something to consider.
01-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If space and ergonomics are not an issue and speed and quality are first, is this the best decision?
You can't go wrong with any of those lens choices, particularly the FA limiteds. But if you really are afflicted with a mania for bokeh and narrow DOF, why not the DA 14/2.8 instead of the 15? Or why not track down a used FA/A* 85/1.4 instead of the 77? And what about the K/A 50/1.2, which may have the best bokeh of them all?
01-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like the FA trio is for you.

If budget is a concern, consider the following:

Sell the 40 & 70.

Buy the 15 and 77.

15 - 21 - 31 - 50 - 77 would be awfully flexible.

If budget is really a concern, you could sell the 21 as well, and buy a used 12-24.

12-24 - 31 - 50 - 77 would be a great WA + Bokeh kit.

You could always buy the 43 in the future, but the 50 is still a very good lens and the 43 is not really known for it's bokeh when compared with the 31 and 77.

01-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
You could always buy the 43 in the future, but the 50 is still a very good lens and the 43 is not really known for it's bokeh when compared with the 31 and 77.
This may dispel that claim:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/116799-ive-bee...-43mm-ltd.html

Enjoy.
01-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry I've actually read that thread and the 43 has very nice bokeh, no doubts. I was simply suggesting that if finances were a consideration, and bokeh is important, than the 31 and 77 are even better than the 43 (from what I have seen... the only FA I have used is the 43, myself).

The spread between 31 and 77 is also a little more even with the 50, for now at least. Since he mentioned finances were an issue, I figured that the 15-21-31-50-77 would be a good middle ground.

Actually, he could forgo either the 15 or the 21. The 21 could do if he likes super wide angles most, and the 15 could go if he prefers wide, but nothing too extreme.

With cropping I don't find the spread between 15 and 28 to be too large, so I would suspect that the difference between 15 and 31 would be very similar.
01-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
MSD

If you are looking for lightweight and bokeh, then

- 15 + 31 + Fast 50 + 77 would do very well.

I myself haven't ever used a fast 50, and so am not addicted (yet), so would trim it to:

- 15 + 31 + 77 for my x-100mm range, and a tele prime like the F*300/4.5 for long- specific things.
01-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #11

Original Poster
First of all, thank you forum members for your varied and thoughtful responses. Reading through your suggestions I realized I wasn't even aware of all the options available to me. In fact there are too many choices that's the problem!!! So far I have purchased the 15 limited for wide angle travel. The 14 2.8 is clearly the faster lens and would seem like the natural choice given my craving for fast lenses, but the 15 limited seemed better for my needs. Low light portraiture is what I value over low light landscape. I just couldn't see myself in the situation where I would need more light than the 15 will allow. Anyway, purchase made so time will tell.

In other news, I have a K 50 1.2 on it's way to me for better or worse. May have to end up selling my fa50 1.4 if I fall in love with it. Having never used a manual lens on my k-x, I'm a bundle of nerves. My love of leica and rangefinders may in a way be satiated with this lens and it will certainly make me a better photographer.

I've sort of given up on the 43 limited for now. It's not reaching out to me like the other lenses. Instead, my great dilemma seems to be between the fa77 and fa/a 85 1.4. I love my 31limited and it seems to pair well with the 77 but I've got to start thinking outside the box of staying in these little lens "families." When it comes down to it, the image is what matters most to me. I understand the 77 is more versatile for general photography, portrait and landscape included, but the *85 1.4 has a beast of a reputation. Having used neither, and having the funds for only one, I really am torn with which one to choose. I blame this thread for my insanity.

I'll soon be selling my da40 and da70 for sure, but if i sell the da21 is the gap between 15 and 31 too great? The da70 is such a great performer. I'll be sad to see it go.
01-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

is the gap between 15 and 31 too great?
In my experience, not really. But you can't be afraid to crop the 15.

I don't have much desire to put something between my 15 and 28. I have the option of the kit lens when I desire... but I find I don't desire too much.

Everyone is different, though!
01-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #13

Original Poster
Sorry to resurrect this thread, I just wanted to update the gang with my final decisions. Well, final for now My travel kit will now be 15-21-31-43-77. That might sound a bit on the heavy side, but it all fits nicely in my Domke 803. I will keep the K50 1.2 at home for specialized uses. I'm selling of the FA 50 1.4, DA 40, and DA 70 to recoup some of the cost of new goodies. I'm hoping the 43 will best both my DA 40 and FA 50. I am still on the fence about whether to keep the DA 21 or not, but my gut tells me it will fill a rather unusual gap between the 15 and 31. If I had it to do over again, perhaps I should have bought a nice wide angle zoom and scrapped the wide primes, but I'm hoping the 21 will open itself up to me as a great compact street shooting lens and close to a 35mm (actual) perspective on my K-x. Thanks again for the perspective and advice. You all have steered me in a great direction.
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mate, you have got there the ultimate prime kit. I could hardly think of a better combination - plus you have a 50/1.2. The gap between 15 and 31 is quite significant. The 21 is so small but handy in your wide situations, I reckon you should keep it also. If you really want something wider than 15, then the 12-24 could replace the 15 and 21, but otherwise you've chosen well.
01-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for updating us, as Ash said, it looks like the ultimate prime kit.

I'm selling of the FA 50 1.4, DA 40, and DA 70 to recoup some of the cost of new goodies.
I'm curious how you are finding your new FA77 vs. your DA70.

I have the 15-21-40-70 set, but every now and again my mind wanders to thoughts of the FA77. Problem is, I think my DA70 is actually the best of my 4 limiteds, its IQ is just superb.... ha, damn LBA.

So, have you found much of a difference, is the 77 that much better?