Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I've seen some good pictures posted in the Tamron club thread, so I'm sure there are some good copies out there. But what I've noticed is a lot of those look cropped...

The first Sigma was perfect, so why deal with returning a lens over and over. I think the overall body of evidence supports the superiority of the Sigma. I might have tried to justify the Tamron based on price, but it is clear that its just not a great lens.

01-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
The first Sigma was perfect, so why deal with returning a lens over and over. I think the overall body of evidence supports the superiority of the Sigma. I might have tried to justify the Tamron based on price, but it is clear that its just not a great lens.
Because the lens can be worth it.
Good IQ, plus an added 4mm of focal range may be attractive to some.

I went through 3 copies of the Tamron 70-200/2.8 until I finally got a good one (aftern it had to be repaired!) because I know how good it is - and there's no Pentax lens available in production that has its versatility, IQ and speed for the focal lengths.
01-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not sure why, but even Sigma pictures in above set does not appears to be sharp.
01-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Not sure why, but even Sigma pictures in above set does not appears to be sharp.
Choice of apertures for infinity distance focus landscapes - not optimal for sharpness throughout the frame.

01-03-2011, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just passing thorough as I like wide angles...

Interesting to see that the zoom rotation is the same direction, but the focus rings are reversed.

Not all Sigmas zoom in the same direction :-(
01-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is more like death by firing squad than it is a shootout. Pentaxor is right--even the Kit kills it.

More seriously, Sigma had some serious quality control issues with its 10-20 too. There are many shooters out there with excellent copies of the Tamron, so not too much should be made of this. When I bought my Sigma, though I got a good one on my first try, I was fully prepared to return a copy or two if need be.

Alan, the shots you posted with the lens in the Tamron 10-24 Club were better than these, by a lot. That lens had a bad lower right corner, which cleared uip a lot @ f8 and totally @ f11---this copy here has issues so serious that Tamron might want to take a close look at it. A lens this bad is a travesty--Tamron should be ashamed if you ask me. I would email the pics to them if I were you.
01-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Choice of apertures for infinity distance focus landscapes - not optimal for sharpness throughout the frame.
I focused at the same point for all, did not use a tripod, and just changed the aperture. This was not a scientific, controlled test by any means. I wasn't going for perfect, but mostly to check the corners, and PF/CA on the tree branches. The light was also not great at around 1pm.

01-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
qtopplings:This was not a scientific, controlled test by any means.
Agreed, there ws no need for science in this one.
10-01-2015, 10:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

thanks for comparisons like these, and on PF too! Great since I'm looking for an UWA lens and the OEM 12-24 is just beyond the budget right now