Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-f/5.6 HSM

Hi Folks,

Since new Pentax 18-135mm lens is good, but expensive (for a consumer zoom), I started looking for alternatives. I came across Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-f/5.6 HSM lens. It looks like a reasonable alternative to Pentax 18-135mm, as a general walk-around and travel lens because:

1. Focal length range is very similar;
2. It has Sigma HSM ultrasonic motor in it, I thought it must be similar to DC speed wise;
3. It costs a lot less, but does not have weather sealing and it is a little bit darker than Pentax 18-135mm.

If anybody of you has it, then how it compares to the 18-55mm kit lens?

In comparison to the kit lens:
Does it focus faster?
Is its focusing action silent?
Is the focus precise?
What about center and edge sharpness, is it sharp enough?

One small note though - Please do not confuse Sigma 18-125mm HSM with earlier Sigma 18-125mm (no HSM), as these are two different lenses with different dimensions, weight, and optical designs.

If anyone has both Pentax 18-135mm and Sigma 18-125 HSM, then how they compare to each other?

Your opinions and impressions will be much appreciated.

thanks,
elg (Erika)

Last edited by elg; 01-03-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling correction
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can we assume that you have seen this?

Sigma AF 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC HSM OS (Canon) - Review / Test Report

Will be interesting to see the comparison when it eventually gets published. I am also evaluating similar to you.

GA
01-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
elg
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Yes, I saw this. Some of the criticisms (mainly related to odd OS implementation) cannot be applied to the Pentax version of this lens, as it does not have OS.

I believe performance of this lens on Pentax bodies must be closer to its performance on Nikon, than Canon. That is because lens-sensor system is more similar between Pentax and Nikon, than between Pentax and Canon (Many Pentax cameras use the same Sony sensors, or their modifications, like Nikon).

There is a review of this lens on LensTip. This time it was for Nikon, and in comparison to the other similar lenses (From Nikon and Sony, there was no Pentax lens in that comparison) it looked quite good.

Cheers,
elg (Erika)
01-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
elg
Forum Member

Original Poster
It looks like that I have to calm down re: Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-f/5.6 HSM. I really wanted to get it, so I ordered it in one of the photography stores in Dublin (Other stores have less Pentax gear, or none at all). I was told that I should get it in about a week or so.

Today I visited them, and they told me that Sigma representatives in Ireland do not have it in stock, and usually do not stock it for Pentax mount at all. Canon or Nikon - no problem. Pentax - none. It will take about 6 weeks to order this lens from Japan.

As a result of this I canceled the order, thinking that I may get it from abroad quicker... If my desire to get this lens will not vanish until I travel abroad.

01-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well, what I am wonder is that if hsm version and old non hsm differ in optical quality
01-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
elg
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
well, what I am wonder is that if hsm version and old non hsm differ in optical quality
Based on the reviews that I read the new HSM version lens is completely re-designed and better optically. In the following review it compares quite well to similar zooms made by other companies (Nikon, Sony):

Sigma 18-125 mm f/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

This made me think that it must be quite good lens. In its class that is, and provided you get a good copy.