Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

grey market lenses

Has anyone ever bought a lense from prodigital in Canada?? If you buy a lense from prodigital on ebay is it considered a grey market lense??
They(prodigital) said something about the canadian warranty not being any good for people in the US. That if you wanted to use the canadian warranty that you had to first send the lense to them. They offer the mack warranty as an extended warranty. Is this a real warranty that backs repair of non functional equipment or is this all a scam?? thxs for your input.
sunnybrooke

01-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This isn't really a full answer to your question, but I can say that prodigital2000 is a legit Pentax dealer in Canada. The lenses aren't grey market up here. I'm not entirely sure what happens when you move lenses between countries though.
01-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nothing is scam with Prodigital
01-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #4

they're legit, bought my k20d and k5 from them

01-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

3rd party warranties

Check who the extended warranty is with and then do a Better Business Bureau check and a google check on that company. I have read a number of stories, mostly bad, regarding service from one of them located on the East Coast. Do some digging and you will get an eye full. It still might be worth taking to risk but good to know ahead of time.
GA
01-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would check with Pentax, I thought all Pentax carries International Warranty...
01-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Prodigital2000 Warranty in Canada

Prodigital sells Pentax lenses with the two-year Pentax Canada warranty on eBay through their "123EasyShip" eBay store (both belong to Carmans Photo).

01-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you purchase for use in Canada then no they aren't Grey market, if you purchase them and live elsewhere then yes they would be considered Grey, just as any lens i buy from BH photo would be Grey for my purposes (I live in Canada) International warranties are designed for the following situation
I live in Canada, buy from a Canadian dealer but go on an extended trip (ie a snowbird going to Florida for the winter) Pentax US will cover the warranty if needed provided it has been registered for an international warranty through Pentax Canada.
The reason for this is the local distribution channel has the cost of warranty factored in to their wholesale price and they then have the funds to offset the cost. For the international aspect I'm sure it is a reciprocal arrangement between various distribution chains.
Whether Prodigital is a good dealer is another matter, I can't comment on that
01-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I buy all my lenses (Tamron and Pentax) from Prodigital and have yet to experience anything but excellent service. The products they sell are 100% genuine, the real McCoy.
01-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunnybrooke Quote
Has anyone ever bought a lense from prodigital in Canada?? If you buy a lense from prodigital on ebay is it considered a grey market lense??
They(prodigital) said something about the canadian warranty not being any good for people in the US. That if you wanted to use the canadian warranty that you had to first send the lense to them. They offer the mack warranty as an extended warranty. Is this a real warranty that backs repair of non functional equipment or is this all a scam?? thxs for your input.
sunnybrooke
except for Goldenarrow I think we all may have missed the real question if it was about the Mack warranty. True for the Canadian warranty you would have to ship it back to them to obtain service or to Pentax Canada with Proof of purchase etc.
The Mack warranty is apparently a pretty respectable extended warranty option in the US (not an offering up here)

the MACK Camera repair BBB report rates them A+, of the 113 complaints registers since 2003 they resolved 109 to the customers satisfaction and the BBB closed the others as they felt they were resolved though the customer didn't agree.
BBB Review of Mack Camera Service in Springfield, NJ

I have read a number of nasty complaints though as well so YMMV, Personally I never buy extended warranties on anything (I spent 25 years in the CE business they are great for generating profit but most warranty providers try and find ways to invalidate the warranty to save costs)

Last edited by eddie1960; 01-04-2011 at 01:24 PM.