Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Super Takumar 1:1.4/50 8 elements on Spotmatic F?

Sorry for the possibly dumb question; i have tried to find the answer myself reading through the forum and elsewhere, but i haven't found anything clear; it may just as well be because it's a dumb question. : /

I would just like to ask confirmation whether the earlier 50mm Super Takumar with 8 elements, with the protruding one when focusing to infinity can be safely mounted on the Spotmatic F or it may touch the mirror of the latter.

Do somebody have experience on this coupling?

01-04-2011, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure that there won't be any problems- the Spotmatic was designed for these lenses, after all!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2011, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You are right to be cautious - the ESII manual specifically says it cannot use this lens and it is from the same era as the F and uses the same open aperture metering system.
However a quick skim read of the manual http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_spotmatic_f.pdf
has no such caution and the sumary on page one paragraph 3 states that it is compatible with the complete lineup of Asahi Pentax lenses and accessories.

Put the shutter speed of the camera body on Bulb 'B', open the back of the body and mount the lens and carefully check the mirror movement to see that it clears the rear element when you depress the shutter button.

As Adam says - you should be right.
01-04-2011, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

although the rear element is convex and protrudes from the back of the lens, If you look at the SMC Tak lenses the aperture coupling also sticks out, and not all rear elements protrude the same amount. In fact, my SMC Tak 35mmF2 actually protrudes deeper into the mirror box than my Super tak 50mmF1.4 (8 element version)

While I don't have a spotmatic F or ES II, I passed on the latter for $25 with a 50mmF1.4 lens in my pre M42/LBA days (oops) I see no reason why there would be an issue.

I do recall some lenses in the late 1970's hitting the mirror, but I think they were fisheyes.

01-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys!
Arjay, that was a great suggestion; i've tried right now and the lens fitted perfectly; there's probably no more than 1mm between the lens and the mirror run, but the rear element don't touch it.

later i'll go buy a couple of rolls to test it, but looking through the finder, i've noticed that my copy of the 50 is noticeably worse to focus than my SMC 1:1.8/55. To be sure, i need to test it on digital, as soon as the adapter i've ordered arrives...

thank you again!
01-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aheadfordinci Quote
Thank you guys!
Arjay, that was a great suggestion; i've tried right now and the lens fitted perfectly; there's probably no more than 1mm between the lens and the mirror run, but the rear element don't touch it.

later i'll go buy a couple of rolls to test it, but looking through the finder, i've noticed that my copy of the 50 is noticeably worse to focus than my SMC 1:1.8/55. To be sure, i need to test it on digital, as soon as the adapter i've ordered arrives...

thank you again!
the shallower DOF may be part of this, I have no issue focusing my copy but I am using a split image finder
01-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the shallower DOF may be part of this, I have no issue focusing my copy but I am using a split image finder
I don't think it's that: I've noticed the same difficulty in focusing at f/5.6 in respect to the 55mm.
it may be it could use a cleaning...

01-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aheadfordinci Quote
I don't think it's that: I've noticed the same difficulty in focusing at f/5.6 in respect to the 55mm.
it may be it could use a cleaning...
maybe your eyepeice diopter is not set?

I have no issue at all focusing mine
01-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
maybe your eyepeice diopter is not set?

I have no issue at all focusing mine
Sorry, it's possible i'm missing something, as it's the first time I use a reflex; but why the same diopter would focus perfectly the SMC 55 and not the Super Tak. 50? Still the lens looks clean :/

I need to test it on a different body, thing that i'll do next week, possibly!