Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #1

Cold weather + K7 = internal condensation?

So I know that normally, if you've had your camera out in the cold for a while and then bring it inside where it's warm, you're supposed to put it in a plastic bag or whatever to prevent condensation. I just got a K7 and I'm wondering if this is still an issue with a 'weather resistant' camera? It seems like maybe it should be ok since it's kinda sorta water proof but... maybe not??

01-04-2011, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mwpdx Quote
So I know that normally, if you've had your camera out in the cold for a while and then bring it inside where it's warm, you're supposed to put it in a plastic bag or whatever to prevent condensation. I just got a K7 and I'm wondering if this is still an issue with a 'weather resistant' camera? It seems like maybe it should be ok since it's kinda sorta water proof but... maybe not??
It depends on what temperature and humidity the air inside the camera have to start with (before you cool it down). Warm air can contain much more gas phase water (vapor). When I've been out in the cold I always leave my camera open for a while when I'm back inside (no lens, open card and battery compartment), provided I am in a reasonable dry and warm place. Besides that, no reason to play around with plastic bags, K-7 is weather proof, external condensation you just wipe off. Except of course if you are crossing a river or similar and risk to fall into the water. It is not waterproof.
01-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
excellent explanation Douglas, much better than I would have provided.
I will point out that I keep my camera inside my coat when out shooting on cold days so it rarely gets cold to the level of any extreme condensation (I don't want my gloves off for that long )
01-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you use a camera bag, just leave the camera in the bag when you come back inside. It will slowly warm up in there and you can take it out an hour later and you shouldn't have any condensation. At least this works for me and I use my camera outside in the cold often.

01-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I use my camera down to -15 Celsius in the winter. What i normaly do is when i go out, i let the camera (inside bag) cool down a bit before shooting.

I dont even try to protect it from the cold, because in -10 to -15 Celsius, the camera will get cold anyway. The bag wont stop that either. Gloves is a absolute must have!

When going home or inside, i never take the camera or lenses out from the bag regardless of the humidity or temperature inside. At these temperatures the heating inside will make humidity dryer than normal.
The bag will remain closed until i feel that its safe to take it out. Condensation will not happen inside the bag, inside the camera or lenses, if the bag is closed and let alone.
01-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #6

I always have a few of those pellet packets that absorb moisture in my bag just in case.
01-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K7 is rated different, but as a baseline, excellent words to live by....
from a manual for a Pentax P3n film body, is one of most comprehensive
statements by Pentax regarding enviromental factors Ive ever seen.
Attached Images

01-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
K7 is rated different, but as a baseline, excellent words to live by....
from a manual for a Pentax P3n film body, is one of most comprehensive
statements by Pentax regarding enviromental factors Ive ever seen.
The advice written by Pentax is good to follow and explains common sence.

The battery does deplete faster in temperatures i shot in (often -10 to -15), and i keep a spare inside my jacket close to my body.

But keeping the camera away from the cold i pure bull.

If you go out to shoot in -10, theres a much higher risk of getting problems and damage if juggling the camera betwen cold and warm every time you want to take a picture. Thats how condense get into things!

*Let the camera and bag cool down to the outside temperature around it. Have a nice time shooting.

01-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I shot quite a bit in sub zero temperatures recently (-10 F) and I use a weather sealed lens and leave it on with camera in bag for about 45 minutes to an hour after coming back inside. I don't notice any condensation inside and seems to work well. I have noticed that Pentax brand battery does significantly better in cold weather than the off brand batteries I got from Digital Extreme.