Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Two more thoughts. 1) Babies are expensive!!! Be careful on the gear purchasing. Mostly that K5/FA77 fund will be used on diapers/strollers,chew toys,etc., etc....
2)You have time to think it through, as infants take a while before they start to really show varied expressions such as smiles and giggles. Crying and screaming come built in standard.

oh yeah, good luck man! take some shots for us of the newborn and mommy.

01-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #17
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Yeah, I've had some of these thoughts as well. I tend to use the FA50 inside at f/2.8 most of the time so that I actually end up with sharp shots. Probably most of this is due to the extra DOF helping me not miss focus rather than extra stopped down sharpness.
And that is important with how close you're coming in for portrait shots of the little one.

QuoteQuote:
I also wondered a bit about up close distortion on the 28 mm. But maybe 28 for wide and the 50 for the tighter shots is a decent combo.
That's my suggestion - 28 for full-body and 50 for head & shoulders.

QuoteQuote:
I'm also thinking that going more tele is probably smarter than getting the FA31 because I already have that range covered a bunch of times with the 28 and the 16-45. A 77 or maybe the DFA100WR might be a more logical next lens (the latter not having much to do with babies though).
If you're after those focal lengths, go for it - you may not have that opportunity for some time once the little one arrives.
01-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

My vote is the 35/2. It's almost as bright as the 31/1.8, but won't cost as much. Fall back to the DA 35/2.4 or 35/2.8 Macro. That's how I'd do it if I were going from scratch...but something in the 35mm range for sure.
01-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Most of my shots have been with FA50 and Tamron 90mm Macro.

And with the help of a swivel/bounce flash as well. This is what can really make and image pop indoors. Sharpness is guaranteed with the higher shutter speeds.

I took a fair bit of flash and natural light shots ... it just depends on the situation really.

01-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
I say go with the DA 40mm

Why?

1. It's compact with any Pentax body, and with all the baby stuff you'll be carrying, would you really want something big to take up space.

2. The AF is blazing fast, one of the fastest in Pentax's lineup. I would've also suggested the DA 35mm Macro except the AF is quite slow and you might miss precious moments.

3. The quality is great, all metal body and the optics is razor sharp.

I would definitely go with the DA 40mm. =]
all excellent points
plus one on this (i was about to suggest the DA43, and it does have a speed advantage over the 40 but not much in real terms as DOF is limited by the subject in any case
01-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

You have a pretty good collection of glass already, all of which are capable of getting you some wonderful photos of your new family member. When my first daughter was born, I was using my first SLR, a Miranda with a 50/f1.8 lens. I had a Soligor 2x converter as my "long" solution. I think you will find the FA50 will get a lot of indoor use as you can focus on your child and blur out the distracting backgrounds, which, if your house is as cluttered as mine, that's every shot. The 28/2.8 should be fine also for the wider shots. I don't have that lens so I can't comment much. 50's are a little long on our digital sensors but that may or may not be a problem depending on the size of your rooms. Once your kid becomes mobile, the zooms will be essential as they are like greased lightning and the only times they are still is when they're sleeping or getting into something they shouldn't
01-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #22

I've got a baby recently and in preparation to that I bought FA 43 Lim. I shoot most of baby pictures with this lens wide open. But, maybe I'd go for FA 31 Lim if I could, 43mm is sometimes too narrow. As other people say, FA 35/2 may be a good option as well, if you can find one. I don't recommend anything darker than f2, it is just not enough light indoors usually, and newborns spend most of the time indoors. DA 40 was already too slow for me.
01-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I would suggest looking into a flash unit like the 540, if you dont already have one.
or I strongly suggest a FA77, since you dont have a lens in that focal length, the FA77 was made for people and portrait photography, spoil yourself you will love it

Some samples of the FA77, taken in a cramped hospital room-

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 01-14-2011 at 05:45 PM.
01-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #24

My experience first year

I have a one year old. When he was a newborn, I found that my 50 1.4 was most useful. Babies are small, and 50mm helps them fill the frame. The creamy look at 1.4 was nice for baby shots, and I had a 50M 1.7 when I needed a sharper look. At about 4 months, I started really appreciating the DA40. At that age, he was outside more, and the sharp contrasty images were pretty amazing. As he got bigger, I started to require 30mm. I couldn't afford the FA 31, so I first made do with a M28 2.8 with good results, and then recently purchased a Sigma 1.4 because he moves around so fast I now need auto-focus.
01-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm totally with harmonica2 on this. My son is 13 months old now and my love for MF lenses (dictated by price really) is really kicking me in the butt! I'm planning to get the new plastic 35mm 2.4.

I've only had the K-x for a month before my son came and all I had was the kit lens. What saved me was the fantastic ISO performance of the camera. The lens was way too dark. Then I got the M50/1.7 and it still serves me well (as long as I can catch my son sleeping/sitting still).

Most importantly – enjoy your sleep now.
01-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Personally I wouldn't give my Best lens to a New Baby but ........

Seriously :
If you don't want to buy a new camera or expensive lense then you can go the MF route, there are some great lenses being virtually given away ... and it's not like you can't keep up with a baby in the first year
01-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
and it's not like you can't keep up with a baby in the first year
Right. They tend to sit still for hours and pose to hearts content.
01-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I would suggest looking into a flash unit like the 540, if you dont already have one.
or I strongly suggest a FA77, since you dont have a lens in that focal length, the FA77 was made for people and portrait photography, spoil yourself you will love it

Some samples of the FA77, taken in a cramped hospital room-

May I know what you used with the AF540 for this shot? Is it just diffused with umbrella/softbox?
01-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #29
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm another one for a 540 flash for total control of lighting, which I shot a 16-50 with for my baby portraits before I went with the 31 and 43 combination. I do understand not everyone would like to invest in any of these lenses, but I see no problem with shooting with an AF 28mm and 50mm offering.

It's the lighting from a good flash used in an appropriate way that will make most of the difference in this setting. It depends on the room's ambient lighting and walls, but generally I prefer bouncing flash up in a bright room, or off-camera wirelessly from camera top left or right diffused by an umbrella.

FA 50/1.4 - reflector at left, window light from right:

DA* 16-50 - AF540 bounced up in bright room:

FA 43 ltd - AF540 bounced up with StoFen diffuser:

Indeed, frustration will start to mount with MF lenses once the baby gets mobile - and it doesn't take long: around 6 months before he/she bobs sitting down or crawls and most shallow DoF work becomes very difficult.
01-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
May I know what you used with the AF540 for this shot? Is it just diffused with umbrella/softbox?
I used the af540 bounced of the ceiling, no umbrella no softbox. There would have been no room to set up a umbrella in a hospital room anyway