Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
yes..but sharpness is about the only thing that cant be overcome in PP

* snip *

the 16-50 is also twice the price where I live than the other two :{
I'll grant you the second but I beg to differ on the first statement above.
Bokeh cannot be over come
"3D" PDF (pixie dust factor) also cannot be replicated in PP.
Bad color rendition can be fixed in PP but not without ALOT of work.

NaCl(sharpness is only one factor in IQ)H2O

01-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
and I don't believe a 16-50 is sharp...so Im gonna have to disagree with that
The 16-50 is not sharp? It scores the highest LW/PH figures (2154 @ f4/16mm) of any zoom lens tested on a Pentax system over at photozone.de. The fact is, all these lenses are plenty sharp and it's not likely you'll notice significant differences in their resolution in real world use.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
But [sharpness] is only one element. It's something relatively easy to measure, so many photographers put a lot of importance on sharpness, but it's far from telling the whole story.
Exactly. There are qualitative differences between lens that cannot be measured, such as color resolution, micro-contrast, the so-called 3D or "pop" quality of the lens' image rendering. Some of these differences are rather subtle and require a certain degree of discernment and appreciation even to notice them. (Nor can these qualitative differences necessarily be reduplicated in post, as has been suggested). It is on this basis that some of us prefer images produced by the DA *16-50 to images produced by its third party rivals. For those who either (1) don't notice these qualitative differences or (2) don't think they are worth the extra price of 16-50, the third party alternatives clearly offer the better value. But that doesn't mean the 3rd party offerings are better. All those who have paid extra for the DA* 16-50 are not idiots or lens snobs. They pay the extra money for the WR and the superior IQ.
01-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #18

You can't go wrong with a fast 50mm.
01-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'll grant you the second but I beg to differ on the first statement above.
Bokeh cannot be over come
"3D" PDF (pixie dust factor) also cannot be replicated in PP.
Bad color rendition can be fixed in PP but not without ALOT of work.
This is very true. The best lenses I have used are very sharp where they need to be, and creamy where they need to be. In my books, a lens must be both to qualify as excellent.

Of all the zooms I have used, the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is the best in this regard (at least on a crop sensor) that are within the *reasonable* price range.

My first prime that really did this for me was the K55 1.8 (in stark contrast to the 50 1.7, which was super sharp but lacked the nice bokeh). Generally, I would think that the best bokeh/sharpness combination can be found in primes, while supurb sharpness can be found in a zoom, and good bokeh is rare. The best examples I've seen here would be from the DA* 50-135.

Last edited by paperbag846; 01-05-2011 at 02:43 PM.
01-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
Inactive Account

What I did:

DA16-45 for wider angle and constant "f" number

FA50 for DOF control and low light..as well as for trying out a prime lens

DA55-300 for longer reach

That was step one..and as I liked the wide-angle the DA16-45 gave me I knew that the DA12-24 would be a good investement..as it really was!

And I also really like shooting with a prime lens..so it is clear that as soon as I can afford I will buy more primes..even more expensive ones.

So those lenses I mentioned were really good to explore my own style and needs.

Hope this helps..Andras
01-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good suggestions already, although they are (predictably) all over the place in terms of cost, focal range, and maximum aperture.

One option to consider alongside the Pentax DA 17-70 F4 is the Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4

Those both hit your suggested requirements of additional length and quality, as well as being a bit faster. Keep in mind, they are also quite a bit larger.