Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #1

Pentax International Warranty in Russia

I bought my k-5 in the UK, asked for International warranty card and was assured I'd get service in Russia... The local repair shop just wrote to me saying that Pentax International Warranty does not apply in Russia!!!

this is the company: http://www.photocamera.ru/service#dslr

and this is what they replied when I approached them with the K-5 sensor stain problem:

"В вашем случае необходимо связаться с поставщиком, т.к. международная гарантия на территории России не действует.

В вашем случае необходимо произвести программную коррекцию сигнала с матрицы. В самом неблагоприятном случае, срок ремонта составит 3-4 недели."

Saying that in this case the camera needs software correction of the signal from the sensor!!!! ))) I don't even want to translate the rest. This is beyond belief.

This is the face of Pentax in Russia.

Thank God I bought it from SRS Microsystems, they seem rather understanding so far, but the situation still leaves me to have to shell out for postage to the UK and then for customs duties for the replacement re-entry to Russia.

01-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Big question. Have you taken this up with Pentax directly ?

I assume the company you mention is the authorised Pentax agent for Russia. If they are, they are no doubt a bit p****d off losing a sale to a UK company. But, they could still be in default of their agreement and terms of buisness with Pentax. What I'm saying, you may well be able to force them into taking on the servicing of your camera under 'contractual obligations'.

I'm not aware of your legal position of course, but good luck
01-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Misha,

This does not seem right. The international warranty section on Pentax.ru clearly states that the international warranty does apply, provided that you (a) bought the camera outside of Russia, and (b) have the properly filled in International warranty card.

??????????? ? ??????? PENTAX / ????????? / ??????????? ????????

The message from photocamera.ru does not seem to make much sense. Have you tried calling Pentax @ St. Petersburg to verify?

ООО "ПЕНТАР"196128, С.-Петербург, Варшавская ул., 23/1
Тел.: (812) 346 7942
Тел./факс: (812) 346 7942
E-mail: service@pentar.ru

Good luck!

Sergey
01-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fotaki Quote
Have you taken this up with Pentax directly ?
And how exactly do you do that? I have filled a couple of online forms to Pentax Europe etc... Last time I did that they were not at all fast or helpful in their response

01-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kammerer Quote
Misha,

This does not seem right. The international warranty section on Pentax.ru clearly states that the international warranty does apply, provided that you (a) bought the camera outside of Russia, and (b) have the properly filled in International warranty card.

The message from photocamera.ru does not seem to make much sense. Have you tried calling Pentax @ St. Petersburg to verify?

ООО "ПЕНТАР"196128, С.-Петербург, Варшавская ул., 23/1
Тел.: (812) 346 7942
Тел./факс: (812) 346 7942
E-mail: service@pentar.ru

Good luck!

Sergey
Seryozha, I forwarded all correspondence to them in Pentar, they have been useless before, however, so not much hope there.

QuoteQuote:
I assume the company you mention is the authorised Pentax agent for Russia.
If they are, they are no doubt a bit p****d off losing a sale to a UK company
No, they are not bothered. A city repair shop that also sells Nicanon and Sony. They do not sell new Pentax stuff, only repair. The time they quoted for the repair was 3 months and did not answer what exactly will be happening in these 3 months? Sitting on the workbench waiting its turn? Or sending my camera to St Pete's to the blasted Pentar? No thanks, I'd rather send it to UK, and get replacement than have some uneducated halfwits fiddling with the $1,500 camera's sensor. The soviet customer servisss styleee best example. Fob them off.

Never mentioning any of the remaining list of defects. Just the stains.

These tosspots are listed as proper Авторизованный Сервисный Центр (АСЦ)

http://www.pentax.ru/service/list/

<<"Фотокамера.ру"
Специализация - цифровые фотокамеры PENTAX
Екатеринбург, 620075, ул. Карла Либкнехта, 22
Тел.: +7 (343) 378 2920
E-mail: photocamera@photocamera.ru
Web: http://www.photocamera.ru/ >>

This is how Pentax chooses to be represented in a city with population close to two million.
01-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail_Kriviniouk Quote
And how exactly do you do that? I have filled a couple of online forms to Pentax Europe etc... Last time I did that they were not at all fast or helpful in their response
OK, I take your point - service comes according to territory.

I also live in a country (Greece) where service attitude is usually 'take it or leave it'. I had problems with my K10D a few years ago and met with a similar response until I contacted Pentax Europe (France at that time) and they 'instructed' the local agent to take on the repair. Of course, I do have the luxury of living in the Eurozone.
01-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
The guy that suggested to correct the data from CMOS is within walking distance, I am sure he'll sing praise to the small size of the k5 as I shove it up his lazy fat ar^e. I'll attach a chunky old useless, but all metal chinon 500 or hanimex 80-200 onto it especially to please his darker side ))

01-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ouch!!
01-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fotaki Quote
Ouch!!
this is the paperweight kit I am getting ready

I wonder, while they stock n1k0ns and can0ns, do they stock KY products?

Pentax should start making their cameras in pink just for these occasions
Attached Images

01-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Misha....that's the Hanimex, yes? I've got a Hani 35-105 f3.5 (m42) - don't know why I kept it all these years, must be the squirrel in me.

Apart from the few defects you mention, how are you liking the K5 ?
01-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #11

Original Poster
These "few defects" are few too many... I am severely underwhelmed. K-5 is not what is is cranked up to be. Using my K-x more than K-5 and just waiting to send it back... All Russia is on hold until 11 Jan. If I get a no stain copy back, I'll most likely get rid of it since it does not enable me to do what I could not do with K-x... and for the rest I have the K-x! Unless, of course, what I get as replacement will work with a flash as the K-x does and focus in low light BETTER than the K-x I have.
01-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Interesting comments.

I've been following all the K-5 hype and like most here have been swept along on this tide of enthusiasm. On the other hand you seem to have come to terms with your camera needs and usage and take a sensible pragmatic view. I also take a view that my GX20 camera fulfills most of my needs and will more than cope with my present ability.

With all your current K-5 probs. in Russia wouldn't you be better off with (dare I say it) CaNikon ?