Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 18-250mm focus ring question

I'm borrowing this lens from a friend who wants to sell it, to test it out. But is the focus ring supposed to have so much resistance in MF mode, with a whirring sound as I turn it? Also, does this lens not allow the quick shift focus? This sure is different from my DA 12-24 in these respects, which has no focus ring resistance and also quick shift - I thought they'd be the same. Thanks.

01-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The DA 18-250 doesn't have quick-shift focusing. So certainly if you try and manually focus it without switching to MF on the body it will make some noise (as you are forcing the AF motor to move). Not sure what kind of sound nor the resistance level should be like in MF mode as I don't recall ever using it as a MF lens. If no one else chimes in with a good answer, I can check tonight.
01-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Right the Pentax 18-250 is really a Tamron in Pentax dressing. There is no quick shift on this lens - and don't think that I miss having this either. It's still a little stiff with the camera in MF mode but it's workable. You just have to remember to shift the camera to MF. Interestingly enough, the Tamron 18-250 in a Canon mount has an AF-MF switch on the lens body. It still functions the same and has the same resistance and sounds.
01-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #4

I have an 18-250. It's not great as a manual lens with a short throw and, as you say, a disconcerting whirr as you turn the ring.

On the other hand, it's exceptionally convenient as an all in one travel lens, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the image quality.

01-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
So certainly if you try and manually focus it without switching to MF on the body it will make some noise (as you are forcing the AF motor to move). Not sure what kind of sound nor the resistance level should be like in MF mode as I don't recall ever using it as a MF lens.
Actually, the ring is locked when in AF mode. Again, I feel this resistance and hear the whirring sound when turning the ring in MF mode.
01-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Actually, the ring is locked when in AF mode. Again, I feel this resistance and hear the whirring sound when turning the ring in MF mode.
I know, I just wasn't sure at first if you meant there was a lot of resistance because it was locked and you were moving it despite that. But I just mounted mine and realize the sound you're talking about and it appears it's normal for this lens
01-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But I just mounted mine and realize the sound you're talking about and it appears it's normal for this lens
Yeah, and that's pretty much the deal-breaker for me. I don't trust my K20D's AF that often, so I like to use MF a lot and it's way slower when the ring won't turn fast. Besides that, turning with all that resistance makes me think I'll wear something out eventually if I keep doing it. And not having quick-shift is not very convenient either. Looks like I'll be thinking about the DA 18-135 instead; I've already returned the 18-250 to my friend after the test run that actually did take some decent pictures.
01-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Yeah, and that's pretty much the deal-breaker for me. I don't trust my K20D's AF that often, so I like to use MF a lot and it's way slower when the ring won't turn fast. Besides that, turning with all that resistance makes me think I'll wear something out eventually if I keep doing it. And not having quick-shift is not very convenient either. Looks like I'll be thinking about the DA 18-135 instead; I've already returned the 18-250 to my friend after the test run that actually did take some decent pictures.
I would agree that the 18-250 isn't the greatest lens for MF. I picked up a copy about a month ago and thought the IQ was pretty decent, although I had been thinking about the 18-135 as well. My biggest pet peeve with the 18-250 is the zoom creep; if I don't have my hand on the zoom ring when I point the camera towards the ground to review a picture, the lens has a tendancy to zoom out quite a bit. But MF and zoom creep aside, it's a hell of a lens for it's size and price.

01-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My biggest pet peeve with the 18-250 is the zoom creep
Another reason why I probably won't buy it off my friend.

But MF and zoom creep aside, it's a hell of a lens for it's size and price.
Agreed. I suppose I've just been too spoiled by the other DA lenses I own that don't have these issues.