Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mamiya 50mm f/2 lens. Is it decent?

Okay, I just inherited an Auto Mamiya/Sekor 50mm f/2 lens and am wondering if anyone has experience with this lens? Is the IQ good? How does it compare to the Pentax M 50mm f/2?

I'd love to try it out on my camera, but don't have an M42 adapter. So my second question is if this cheapo from eBay would work? Pentax M42 screw lens to PK K Adapter Infinity focus US - eBay (item 220673184844 end time Jan-20-11 15:49:18 PST)

By the way, I also inherited a Mamiya 500 TL, Pentax ME Super, and Tamron 35-80mm f/2.8-3.5 lens, all in excellent condition. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

01-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know if it's exactly the same lens but I've used the 50mm f/2 Mamiya Sekor kit lens off of a 500 DTL:

Rest of the test images:

Mamiya Sekor 50mm f/2 - a set on Flickr

Nice lens and good colours but I haven't used it too much because I have so many different 50s. My initial impression was that the M/S 50mm f/2 is sharper than the Pentax M 50mm f/2 but I haven't tested flare or other characteristics. I believe that there are other Mamiya lens samples in the M42 crew thread. It's probably worth getting a cheap adaptor, unscrewing the locking tab from it, and leaving it on the lens permanently.
01-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply Steinback! That probably is the same lens... So do you think the adapter that I linked to in the OP would work? And where would the locking tab be on it?
01-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That is the correct type of adaptor; it is a knock off of the OEM Pentax model. The locking tab is visible at the 9 o'clock position in the first image on the ebay page. On the Pentax adaptor the tab is held on with a small screw and the copy is likely the same. Any half decently manufactured copy is probably close enough that it will work even if the tolerances are a bit sloppy.

I can't vouch for any particular vendor or manufacturer of 3rd party adaptors as I've only used the Pentax one. I bought several used years ago and haven't needed more yet.

01-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You'll ike the Mamiya Sekor 50mm f2. Lovely colour rendition and reasonably sharp. I sold mine recently but not due to a dsiappointment in results, more because other lenses have been getting more usage and a need to rationalise my lens collection.
Here's some sample pics. wide open at my local market.
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/qvmarket4/slides/PICT0767.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/qvmarket4/slides/PICT0810.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/qvmarket4/slides/PICT0833.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
01-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Get The Genuine Pantax Adapter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
I'd love to try it out on my camera, but don't have an M42 adapter. So my second question is if this cheapo from eBay would work?
I'll caution you against getting the 'cheapo' adapter. You will most likely find, as I did, that the tolerances are much closer on the Pentax version. I tried a cheap one and almost had a heart attack when I had trouble getting it off my new camera. Save yourself $10 + shipping and get the Pentax version, you will in the end anyway. (And no, I don't get a kickback from Pentax.)
Good luck and enjoy the inheritance. (I had a 1000 DTL at one point, good camera.)
01-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Mamiya Sekors are great lenses with great IQ but you have another gem in that lot.
DONT sell that Tamron 35-80. That is one great lens. ( I have 3 of them ) .
It is especially good at closeup/macro and also portraits.