Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

3rd Party Lenses with "A" setting

My Pentax collection started with an MX body, and assorted older glass. I have recently added K-X body, and while using my older lenses on the digital body, have found the "A" setting quite useful.

I had previously thought this setting could only be found on Pentax manufactured lenses, but I discovered that one of my vivitar lenses and one of my Tokina AT-X lenses also have this feature.

Is there any system to which 3rd party lenses included this setting? Can anyone recommend any similar lenses?

Thanks.

01-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only thing to watch out for with third party lenses with the A setting is the "Ricoh pin". Lenses marked PK-A/R have a pin than can become stuck in the AF. It's mainly a problem with pre-1987 lenses.

Ricoh Pin - a set on Flickr

K mount lenses with the A setting are all post-1983.

Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
01-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I am reading your question correctly the answer is all the lenses made after the A became standard.

I have a Kalimar 135 A lens that works just fine in manual mode. I don't recall when I bought it or whether I bought new or used. I would guess that I bought it before 1995 and no earlier than 1987.
01-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Some manufacturers have built the same lens with and without an A setting, and others have built similar lenses with and without aperture rings as they modernized and simplified lens designs. If you want both an A setting and an aperture ring then it is best to check the lens or ask for photos of the aperture ring before buying it.

Sigma and Tamron both manufactured many AF and MF lenses with A settings. Tamron Adaptall lenses will accept A, K, or other mounts (originally purchased separately). Often this forum's lens database will indicate if a lens was available with an A setting. Aperture rings on 3rd party lenses started to be phased out after 2003 or so when Pentax introduced the FA J mount, which is similar to the DA mount.

01-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

As noted above, most 3rd-party lens makers were supporting the K-mount with A-contacts shortly after the A and P body cameras debuted in the mid-1980s.

Steve
01-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by BrentPDX Quote
My Pentax collection started with an MX body, and assorted older glass. I have recently added K-X body, and while using my older lenses on the digital body, have found the "A" setting quite useful.

I had previously thought this setting could only be found on Pentax manufactured lenses, but I discovered that one of my vivitar lenses and one of my Tokina AT-X lenses also have this feature.

Is there any system to which 3rd party lenses included this setting? Can anyone recommend any similar lenses?

Thanks.
Sigma had some A lenses that were manual focus, I have a Mini-Wide II 28mmm lens that is in that category.
01-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The only thing to watch out for with third party lenses with the A setting is the "Ricoh pin". Lenses marked PK-A/R have a pin than can become stuck in the AF. It's mainly a problem with pre-1987 lenses.
And, AFAIK, Ricoh lenses with A setting don't work in the A modes, only in M.
01-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The question of which lenses use the KA mount is a function of when they were made. The KA mount was introduced in about 1981. Before that pentax used the k mount ( no A or contacts). Some third party makers offered both K and KA for a while before switching completely to KA or KA/R (with the dreaded Ricoh pin)