Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Out of his mind

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

HERE
why on earth would you sell such a nice collection???? says he just bought a k10d and is dumping everything manual.

10-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

WTH!!?? Does he not know he can still use them all or something????
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't understand either

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
HERE
why on earth would you sell such a nice collection???? says he just bought a k10d and is dumping everything manual.
It makes no sense. I'd love to have some of that stuff to use on my K10D. He must know it will work on his new camera.

regards,

ken
10-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

100-300 FA*

He's about to make some money on that transaction...

10-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unbelievable

Funny thing is that almost all this gear will wind up being used on K10D's. Very surprised at some of those lenses going up for auction if he's really a new K10D owner.

Avant. That's just an FA 100-300mm f 4.7-5.8 not an FA* as there was never an FA* in that range. The only FA* zooms were the 28-70, 80-200 and the 250-600

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-03-2007 at 04:52 PM.
10-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, thats a nice collection! I don't ask why, just smile and start bidding.
10-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I understand - like the man who sold all he had for a pearl of great price----- the fa 31 f1.9 -----or making room for all those new lenses on the roadmap

10-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
It makes no sense. I'd love to have some of that stuff to use on my K10D. He must know it will work on his new camera.

regards,

ken
It does happen! When I was searching for a 50mm I came across an auction where a man had a pentax-a 50mm 1.4 up for auction and cautioned in the auction that it would not work on all pentax digital cameras. I e-mailed him and told him I was pretty sure it would work as pentax dslrs are designed to take old lenses. He e-mailed back and said he had a k100d and "according to the manual it won’t work (as was demonstrated by my unsuccessful attempt)."

After a few e-mails I showed him how to make it work... and I would imagine he was kicking himself for already having listed it because he had just gotten it on ebay the week before for a steal!
10-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
HERE
Because Pentax has dropped (and appears permanently) a mechanical aperture coupling for K- and M-series bayonet lenses?

At least, that's why I don't own any.
10-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Maybe he's just collecting money for a MKIII/D3?

Seriously, he is going to raise a lot of cash for that collection, might be enough for the K1D coming in November
10-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh man...lol. Its too bad haha. Too painful to keep looking. At least he'll be close to getting a DA*16-50 which is good.
10-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

this just doesn't add up. I kinda think it's someone who bought this stuff up at an estate sale and is re-selling it. My thinking is
a) someone 'in the biz' would recognize how well some of these match with the K10D
b) someone 'in the biz' would list the speed of the lens. I don't see one f-stop in any of the listings.

... just doesn't seem like someone who's owned these for years is the one selling them. JMHO.
10-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
this just doesn't add up. I kinda think it's someone who bought this stuff up at an estate sale and is re-selling it. My thinking is
a) someone 'in the biz' would recognize how well some of these match with the K10D
b) someone 'in the biz' would list the speed of the lens. I don't see one f-stop in any of the listings.

... just doesn't seem like someone who's owned these for years is the one selling them. JMHO.
The flashes won't work at all. ---and so far I don't know of any
replacement for the 080C ringlite that will.--- I own one and am screwed....

The M series lenses---while usable---- are a kludge due to the crippled
k mount on the digital.---I've kept my lenses because a few years ago
a dumped all my M series on ebay and bought A series when they were selling at pretty close to the same money.---- turns out to have been a pretty brilliant thing to have done....

However my frustration is that with the APS format the lenses that were my real favorites with the film camera perform differently on the digital making them lenses that I don't like any more. For example I think the 24-50
was one of my all times favorites on film.... but it just isn't the same on the digital body.......
10-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #14
DAP

I don't find this scenario that insane - maybe the dude just wants to switch to a totally AF system. Perhaps he has decided to use only lenses that were designed for digital cameras. Maybe he/she just wants to simplify their life and unload the excess. On the other had maybe the person is just savvy and has decided to unload all their manual focus pentax primes when they are at their peak as far as bloated prices are concerned.
10-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Because Pentax has dropped (and appears permanently) a mechanical aperture coupling for K- and M-series bayonet lenses?

At least, that's why I don't own any.
I agree with carpents: why would you keep a K or M lens, while Pentax doesn't support them anymore? K-mount lenses are also more difficult to adapt to other brands cameras: they won't fit on my Canon 1DS if I don't remove the diaphragm actuator and grind down its shield. That's why I have a lot of M42 lenses but no K or M lenses, which I consider obsolete.

OTOH, if you look closely at the collection being auctioned by this guy, you'll see that there are no really outstanding lens. Maybe he's just selling them to get better glass

Cheers,

Last edited by Abbazz; 10-04-2007 at 12:48 AM.