Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #1

Photo of Pentax DA* 60-250 with no tripod collar?

I came across this photo of the 3 DA* zooms, and as you can see there is no tripod collar on the 60-250 here. I know it is a useful feature for many, but as someone who does almost exclusively hand-held shooting, the lighter weight of a 60-250 without the tripod collar would be nice and I'd rather have the lens without this feature if I had a choice. But I have never heard of this.....what is up with this photo? Did that used to be an option for this lens? The source of the image is lens-reviews.com and this is an older image. Here is a link to the image...

http://lens-reviews.com/Lens-Talk/Lens-Talk-and-Articals-about-Photography/T...ar-Lenses.html

Any clarification to clue me in here would be appreciated -LE

01-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #2

Original Poster
another site with a similar photo

3 New Pentax DA* Lenses

looks like these are pre-production photos....so what does that mean? Pentax made it originally without the collar and added it later?
01-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
id say that was a early prototype photo...quite old . over 5 years ..im pretty sure you cant get a 60-250 without a collar ...weight wise of the actual collar, with the tripod mount removed with be minimal Id say
01-07-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the original design which is very much like the FA*80-200 but I wouldn't hang 1k+ on Pentax DSLR w/o collar. Fine for good old all metal manual focus bodies, maybe even the Z-1p, but not the DSLRs with plastic mirror box chassis. You can always remove the tripod mount from the existing design though.

01-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

With the DA* 60-250, you can remove the tripod mount, but not the tripod collar. It takes a coin and few seconds to remove the tripod mount. I mostly use this lens hand-held.
Attached Images

01-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks all for the clarification!much appreciated.

Kammerer: you don't find the lens too bulky for hand-held? This is encouraging to hear (can't get my hands on one around here and don't want to pay to rent)
01-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
thanks all for the clarification!much appreciated.

Kammerer: you don't find the lens too bulky for hand-held? This is encouraging to hear (can't get my hands on one around here and don't want to pay to rent)
Just to chime in, other than some test shots I've taken with it, I use my DA*60-250 entirely handheld. It's really not that big. If you've ever held or shot with a 70-200/2.8, it's similar to shooting with one of those (although the 60-250 does extend a few inches when zoomed out to 250mm).
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
you don't find the lens too bulky for hand-held?
I agree with Daniel - it's not that big. It is considerably heavier than a typical consumer 70-300, but lighter than a 70-200 f2.8. You definitely have to support the lens with your left hand - holding just the camera won't work.

If you want a really light lens, the 100mm macro WR is excellent. Even though it's not a DA*, it is still protected from water and sand - I do not hesitate to use it on the beach, in waves, etc.

01-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kammerer Quote
I agree with Daniel - it's not that big. It is considerably heavier than a typical consumer 70-300, but lighter than a 70-200 f2.8. You definitely have to support the lens with your left hand - holding just the camera won't work.

If you want a really light lens, the 100mm macro WR is excellent. Even though it's not a DA*, it is still protected from water and sand - I do not hesitate to use it on the beach, in waves, etc.
Exactly. Compared to a 50-200 or 55-300, it's pretty big. But it's on par with f/2.8 zooms and smaller than a Sigma 100-300/4 which at one point I was comnparing it to. You certainly have to hold it with your left hand as there is far too much weight away from the body to try and hold the camera, even with a grip. This is especially true with a body like the K-x, which is what I used quite a bit with the 60-250 this summer.

The 100WR macro is a very good option for a light weight, telephoto lens to handhold. However, if you don't mind losing the macro and WR, the FA135/2.8 is a really good option as a fast telephoto in that range that's really easy to handhold. It's about the same size as the 100WR (probably a little wider and a little shorter). Also, the AF is really quick and the IQ is excellent.
01-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #10

Original Poster
Great info and thank you all for chiming in with your experiences, sounds like the 60-250 will be right up my alley.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kammerer Quote

Careful here....the 100 macro is rated "WR", the same weather resistance as the 18-55, 50-200, and 18-135. Pentax makes no claims anywhere that it has any resistance to sand or dust, only that it is resistant to "damp or inclement conditions", unlike the DA* series and the K-7 and K-5 bodies where they are quick to say it is also dust resistant.

But if you have exposed the thing to sand without a problem maybe it is better sealed than Pentax lets on. I have complained before about how they refuse to explain the difference between WR sealing and DA* sealing, only eluding to the DA* level being superior like in Ned's description of the 18-135 where he said it is a great lens for wet conditions but for a completely sealed, more rugged lens to match the level of sealing of the K-5 body refer to the DA* lenses. All marketing hype? Dunno...

It does sound like a fun little lens, but I think it wouldn't be that versatile for me as 100mm just isn't long enough I don't think, although a true macro would be really fun.

Thanks all! I am going to go with the 16-50 and 60-250! I saw some close-ups of flowers with the 60-250 and they were really impressive, at least for anything I would be doing. I just hope I don't end up wanting something wider than 16 and waiting for the 11-16 that will never come!

cheers! -LE