Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Vivitar 50mm 1.7

I just picked up a Vivitar k-mount f1.7 50mm lens off of eBay for $20. It's the lens on this camera: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gkhZz7FDL.jpg

I figured for $20 it was worth a shot and jumped on the buy it now... but now that i've pulled the trigger, can you guys tell me anything about it? Is it a halfway decent lens?

Thanks!

Charles.

01-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar 50mm, f1.7 MC Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
01-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would point out that in that review, the price is listed at $355. That's probably a typo. Maybe he added an extra "5" at the end. Which would be in line with the comment "I got it cheap". Probably $35 is more actual, which means you got a good buy. Enjoy!
02-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I find that stopped down the vivitar is significantly sharper than the smc m 50mm f2 lens that came with my k1000. However, when taking test shots of playing cards there is an odd ghosting at f1.7 using my kx, there is a ghosting that reduces sharpness. I,m not sure if that is an issue with using a full frame fast lens on an apsc sensor or what. Overall i am ennouing the lens though. I do believe it will spend more time on my dakota body than the kx though.

Charles.