Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

... why?

MINT- Pentax SMC FA 50mm F1.4 Boxed K100D K10D NR! - (eBay item 250168824465 end time Oct-04-07 09:02:43 PDT)

$203. It didn't cost that much new in the US.

10-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It would appear that it's other countries that are more interested in the lens.
10-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am guessing someone outside the US bought it, since its normally more expensive and sometimes a lot more expensive. And buying stuff from the US is becoming more and more difficult, at least used stuff.
10-04-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

they very often go for more than $200 on ebay, $220-$230 is very common. In oz best price is about AU$330 (about US$290 and there is no rebates here ) so US$203 is cheap. From hong kong they only want US$15 postage, not much more than I would pay here and US sellers always seem to start at US$35-40.

Phil

10-04-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I am guessing someone outside the US bought it, since its normally more expensive and sometimes a lot more expensive. And buying stuff from the US is becoming more and more difficult, at least used stuff.
However what is the point to buy used lens for more than $200 on eBay when the same new lens costs $190 in Adorama and $200 in B&H and it's in stock?
10-04-2007, 12:48 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

Well I am not the buyer, I am just speculating. Maybe shipping? Last time I wanted to order something from adorama, a 100$ softbox, the shipping was 96$! No thanks. B&H I dont want to deal with becaue last time I heard you had to actually fax your credit card to them, I dont own a fax but even if I did then the hell I would do something like that when I can order from someone else.

Then again maybe it was a bidwar, when someone really wants something on ebay, they really want to win the auction and they get caught up in winning. Or maybe they did not even consider buying from the us. There are many scenarios.
10-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Forum Member

Hey guys we don't all live in the USA with your cheap prices and your rebates.

My local camera store has the FA 50/1.4 for 189. Yes, that's right folks, 385 bucks.

Even if you add on import fees, that eBay item works out at 160 max. And no I didn't buy it!
10-05-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
Hey guys we don't all live in the USA with your cheap prices and your rebates.

My local camera store has the FA 50/1.4 for 189. Yes, that's right folks, 385 bucks.

Even if you add on import fees, that eBay item works out at 160 max. And no I didn't buy it!
It doesn't matter if you buy in eBay from non-EU seller used lens or buy in Adorama/B&H new lens: you'll need to pay duties and VAT.
So, what is the point to buy used lens on eBay from some Honk Kong seller for $232.50 when you can buy the same new lens for $190 from Adorama.
Insane!

10-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
B&H I dont want to deal with becaue last time I heard you had to actually fax your credit card to them, I dont own a fax but even if I did then the hell I would do something like that when I can order from someone else.
Damn ... I didn't realise you had to actually fax your credit card to them.
Weird ... oh well.

I hope i don't get asked the same thing when i order from them later on.
10-05-2007, 12:43 AM   #10
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Damn ... I didn't realise you had to actually fax your credit card to them.
Weird ... oh well.

I hope i don't get asked the same thing when i order from them later on.
Thats how it was last time I checked, of course you should re-check.

I ordered from adorama instead, no problems. Except for the fact that they SEVERELY overcharge the shipping. Once I ordered a 62mm closeup filter and I paid more for shipping than the filter and got that tiny lightweight filter in a way oversized box. I am assuming they just put some generous fixed rate for international shipping rather than actually checking how much it would cost.