Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #16
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've only had my lens for a few weeks, but here's some sample pics taken over the holidays. All the of these pictures were taken hand-held at f/2.8, ...
Thanks for posting the full-sized images. The image quality is very impressive. Nice and sharp wide open, good contrast, and surprisingly good bokeh. These are much better than I would have expected given the reviews that I've read. Of course it helps that you really nailed the focus, and did an excellent job processing the images. All in all, it seems like a VERY nice lens!

Dan

01-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All- thanks for your replies ...I am a dslr newbie...just got my K-x last spring...loving it but I have a lots to learn.
03-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So where can one buy this in the US? Seems like it's out of stock everywhere or discontinued.
03-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought one a couple of months ago, primarily for basketball but I was disappointed by the resolution and sent it back for exchange. The second one wasn't any better but, instead of playing lens ping-pong with the seller, I sent it off to Sigma and it came back plenty sharp. They calibrated it for the K-5 but that's off at CRIS for the sensor fix It's doing just fine on my K20D though.

03-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I bought one a couple of months ago, primarily for basketball but I was disappointed by the resolution and sent it back for exchange. The second one wasn't any better but, instead of playing lens ping-pong with the seller, I sent it off to Sigma and it came back plenty sharp. They calibrated it for the K-5 but that's off at CRIS for the sensor fix It's doing just fine on my K20D though.
I thought about sending mine in for calibration since it's a little inconsistent at closer distances, but it seems to be spot on once the subject is 15 feet away or more. So I probably won't bother, for fear it may come back worse. There's no way I want to sacrifice the mid-to-far range focus accuracy for better close-range focus.

Did you get a chance to look at the NBA game pictures I posted in this other thread?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/134848-convinc...0-200mm-4.html

I included links to the full size pics. If you get a chance, you might take a look and see if you think my lens could benefit from calibration.
03-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
it's a little inconsistent at closer distances, but it seems to be spot on once the subject is 15 feet away or more.
Interesting. I don't see anything in your NBA shots that suggests that you have any problem at all (but heed the admonition in my signature ;~) Here's a couple of my better shots with the lens: since I'm shooting at the high school level, I have the advantage of shooting from the sidelines.

Bottom line: I'm really happy with it.
03-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Interesting. I don't see anything in your NBA shots that suggests that you have any problem at all (but heed the admonition in my signature ;~) Here's a couple of my better shots with the lens: since I'm shooting at the high school level, I have the advantage of shooting from the sidelines.
I've really only had any problems with missing focus when using the lens indoors in situations where I would normally use my Tamron 28-75mm. Once the subject is more than 10 - 15 ft away from me, autofocus is very accurate.

I had good seats at the NBA game, so I was only about 15 feet from the court. This is where this lens really excelled, which is why I've said that this is the perfect lens for amateur sports since you will normally be able to get fairly close to the action.