Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Quite spirited discussion here on familiar topic. So which are better - FA Limiteds, DA limiteds or Star lenses? Maybe there's no definite answer to it. I've tried 3 star lenses and they're very fine, except FA*24 which is decent lens but not dazzling. I had all 3 FA limiteds and my feelings are bit mixed - of the trio I actually liked FA43 most and regret selling it. I replaced my 77 with DA70 - no regrets here.
I can make comparison only based on owning 77 and 70 and to me it comes to couple of points:
need fast lens, bit more subtle rendering of tones, creamy bokeh, real fullframe, aperture ring and built in hood - get FA
cheaper price, quickshift, fast and spot on AF, more contrast, very compact size - get DA
in terms of image quality i think these two are so close that most people wouldn't recognize them just by looking at photos. Now if i have lenses performing that great and so close to each other I admit the price decides it for me.

10-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Now if i have lenses performing that great and so close to each other I admit the price decides it for me.
No one can fault your logic here. In fact, it is obviously foolish for anyone to spend more than is necessary to find satisfaction, no matter what you're buying. Of course, different people find satisfaction at different levels and have different tastes.

The other huge component in terms of FA vs. DA is sample variation. There seems to be more of this in the FA's than the DA's. This can make all the difference in a lens either blowing you away or underwhelming you. I am on my second 77. The first (MIJ, btw) didn't do much for me and I ended up selling it. Thank goodness I felt compelled to try it again because I adore the one I have now, which, coincidentally, is AIV. It is my favorite of the trio (and I have good copies of all 3) and will be with me as long as I shoot Pentax.

Sample variation, at the level it exists, is maddening and inexcusable. But it is a fact.