Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I have learned

From using my 50 1.4 off and on for quite some time I have learned a few things (indoor sports)
1) a fast 1.4F stop is very tricky in low light because the depth of field is very shallow, resulting in shots that are out of focus

2) Once you get the exposure right turn the camera onto manual exposure with the same setting

3) through trial and error get the max depth of field throught with the adjusting of the F stop so more of your moving subject is in focus

4)play with the ISO, shutter speed and f stop to get the right balance between best focus and capturing motion and as low of ISO as you can (K10 anyway)

5) high ISO results in a photo that looks slightly out of focus due to the outline of the subject having increase pixel size

It took me a long time to get the balance

anyone else has tips for certain lenses?

randy

Last edited by slip; 01-08-2011 at 07:31 PM.
01-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Randy, shooting at f/1.4 is going to be a challenge for everyone who tries it.
I'd rather suggest supplemental (and bounced) lighting if indoor ambient/continuous artificial light is insufficient for a decent shutter speed (at least 1/60sec), addressing both quality of lighting on the subject and noise from being forced to use high ISO.

Without flash, you're left at the demise of your circumstances, and can easily get to the stage where it is virtually impossible to get a decent shot of anything that moves indoors. In those situations where ambient lighting is enough and of good quality, then decent shots can be gained from doing the basics - capturing the subject when not moving too much/fast, focusing accurately on the eyes, choose the aperture desired, then find the lowest ISO that will enable you to handhold the shot (limiting to about 1/30sec - otherwise motion blur, not camera shake, becomes the biggest issue).
01-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Randy, shooting at f/1.4 is going to be a challenge for everyone who tries it.
I'd rather suggest supplemental (and bounced) lighting if indoor ambient/continuous artificial light is insufficient for a decent shutter speed (at least 1/60sec), addressing both quality of lighting on the subject and noise from being forced to use high ISO.

Without flash, you're left at the demise of your circumstances, and can easily get to the stage where it is virtually impossible to get a decent shot of anything that moves indoors. In those situations where ambient lighting is enough and of good quality, then decent shots can be gained from doing the basics - capturing the subject when not moving too much/fast, focusing accurately on the eyes, choose the aperture desired, then find the lowest ISO that will enable you to handhold the shot (limiting to about 1/30sec - otherwise motion blur, not camera shake, becomes the biggest issue).
unfortunately not everywhere lets you use flash
once I get my Light meter I hope that I can set up my flash in manual so that it doesn't people don't look like deer in a head light
01-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Two words that will make the whole fast lens experience much better:
Focus Screen
The stock focus screen and AF system are inadequate for focusing with an f/1.4 lens. There are a number of reasons for this, but for now, just take it from me on faith. The focus aids (split image and microprism) found on film cameras were put there for a reason. I bought an aftermarket screen with split image/microprism a few years back and have not regretted the purchase. Well-focused images with my faster lenses are now the norm.

Steve

01-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I just come across your thread,
f1.4 is so shallow that you end up with one eye in focus and one eye out-of-focus. Otherwise kx body is a good low iso. If flash is not allowed, can you put a constant light source? Spilt screen is a must-have in such condition, still it won't help on the lighting.