Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 10-20mm: hood + circular polarizer

I just got a circular polarizer for Sigma 10-20mm. Problem is that I find it really difficult to rotate circular polarizer when hood is attached.

I am sure many other might have faced the same problem. How have you solved that?

01-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good question! I've used my CPL with my 10-20 just once in the last year and I've never used my hood, but I know what you mean. Same situation applies with the 17-70 and the 30mm prime.
01-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't turn a clip-on hood to rotate the filter? It slides?

If not, you obviously need a screw-on hood, and with a lens like that, I would think it's well worth the investment.

You definitely want a CP for those kinds of shots, and a 10-20 needs all the help it can get for flare, so I would think both are desired most of the time.
01-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Struggle!

01-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
ira: You definitely want a CP for those kinds of shots, and a 10-20 needs all the help it can get for flare, so I would think both are desired most of the time.
Today 06:45 AM.
Ira, the 10-20mm 4-5.6 is excellent with flare. I almost never use the hood. The only time flare is an issue is if you point it directly into the Sun, and even then if you are selective with composition, you can get a shot without any flare in it. BTW, I use a B & W linear polarizer. Is it as good as the Da 15mm, no--of course not, but what is. Also, the 10-20mm 3.5 is reported even better with flare than is the older 10-20mm. Remember the area of the sky UWA takes in, then shoot with the 10-20mm & you'll be amazed how excellent flare control is.

QuoteQuote:
yusuf I just got a circular polarizer for Sigma 10-20mm. Problem is that I find it really difficult to rotate circular polarizer when hood is attached.

I am sure many other might have faced the same problem. How have you solved that?
Yusuf, always screw the polarizer on first. Then, bayonnet the hood on. In the 2 areas where the petals are thin and opposite one another, use your thumb & index finger @ 180 degrees, etching with each finger nail the raised rim of the polarizer until you have the polarizer positioned right.

Pehaps better, the hood simply bayonets on/off in less than 2 secs, so just remove the hood, set the polarizer, and replace the hood. With a little practice it is no problem.

Remember, a polarizer increases flare possibility, so be sure to get a very good one to offset that.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 01-09-2011 at 11:32 AM.
01-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Yusuf:
Yusuf. how easily does the polarizr spin when in your hands? Some of them are a little tight, and need breaking in. If it is free-wheeling enough in your hands, just a little reach in and touch with your finger tip will move it easily enough. Just be sure to screw it clockwise, so that you do not unwind the expensive 77mm polarizer from its ring.
01-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think the best solution would be to get a hood which can fit on polarizer and rotates along, hopefully I can find a hood which is small enough not to cause vigneting.

With original hood, I tried rotating while hood is ON but the grip is so fine and friction is a bit more that almost all the time my finger touched the glass while trying to rotate.