Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #1

Need cheap macro lens for K10D

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Can anyone recommend a decent and cheap, under $100 used (if that exists) macro lens for the k10D?

I need to shoot some jewelry.

Thanks!

01-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'd be looking for a second hand manual focus lens like the Pentax A 100 f/4 macro.
It's just a matter of finding one now - check eBay if the forum marketplace is not offering one in your desired timeframe.
01-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can also use extension tubes and reversing adaptors on other lenses that have an aperture ring.
01-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Or a Raynox macro conversion lens that clicks on the existing lens.

01-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You'd be looking for a second hand manual focus lens like the Pentax A 100 f/4 macro.
It's just a matter of finding one now - check eBay if the forum marketplace is not offering one in your desired timeframe.
i doubt you can get a 100mm macro at 100... macro lens are expensive regardless of manual or auto focus, because the fact of the matter is, people shoot macro will be 99% of the time manual focusing, making auto focus rather useless (but it's still is a bit more expensive as you can use the lens for regular shooting).

As expected, i checked with KEH (cheapest source around that I've found), 150 ish for a decent condition one...

I would suggest a 50mm macro for 100 dollars. you ain't shooting any bugs because of the working distance, but flowers and non moving subjects shouldn't be an issue.

extension tubes, reverse lens... they'll work, but i'd still suggest a macro lens, it makes your life a whole lot easier, those cheap method will always have a fault... stick with a macro lens and save yourself the trouble, even a cheap ass like me had to shell out the money for a macro lens.
01-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's all a matter of opportunity if you're on that kind of a budget.
I also prefer dedicated macro lenses, and you may be lucky.
Keep looking around for deals, but if none are available, you may have to settle for a reversing ring or a Raynox setup - both of these are capable of producing fantastic results using regular lenses.
01-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two macro defile that are within the budget

An SMC macro takumar plus extension tubes and helicoidal extension tube( variable 15-30mm tube ) total cost $102

Second annika bellows for $25 plus an enlarger lens

01-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In my opinions here are your best options:

Pentax 50mm f4 macro lens (SMC Takumar if you already have the M42 adaptor, or the K or M versions, all of which are optically identical). It's a great, sharp lens, although it only focuses down to 1:2 so you may want to pick up some extension tubes as well. You should be able to get one for about $75-90.

Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro lens, the older MF one (not the newer DG one). This lens goes down to 1:1 and has the A setting for added convenience. It's actually a very competent lens; I have it and was pleased with it's performance (although it's not as good as my 50mm f4 Takumar). For some reason everyone always forgets it exists. It is also dirt cheep. You can pick one up for $40-65 on Ebay. This would be my recommendation, presuming you are going to be working in the 1:2 to 1:1 range.

The final option as Lowell Goudge pointed out is a bellows and an enlarger lens. Figure about $25 for each, plus the necessary adaptors (depending on what bellows you get--K mount, m42, t-mount).
01-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Banned

I'll put in a big shout for the raynox. If you just want to do the occasional macro shot it's a steal for how well it performs. I got mine for 45 bucks on amazon and have been very impressed. Check out the Raynox club thread for some impressive stuff.
01-11-2011, 04:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Many good suggestions above. I won't recommend lens reversal because your working distance will be under two inches. Dedicated macro lenses are handy and not cheap. I'd recommend a manual A-type macro lens if you shoot flash.

Non-flashy, I have two 1:1 M42 manual macro lenses, a MacTak 50/4 and a Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8, but I mostly use cheap enlarger lenses on M42 tubes and/or bellows. Enlarger lenses have flatfield edge-to-edge sharpness and can be bought for under US$20.

Shorter lenses (55mm and less) let you work close, good for studio shots. Longer lenses (75mm and more) let you work further back and can also do non-macro shots, good for outdoor work. No non-reversed lens can focus closer than its focal length.

Those are the basics. All else is budget and desire.
01-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
macro

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I have an old Pentax SMC-A 50mm f/2 manual lens. Has anyone tried macro with that?
01-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K20D Quote
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I have an old Pentax SMC-A 50mm f/2 manual lens. Has anyone tried macro with that?
That lens with a $8 set of extension tubes would give you excellent results for jewelry.

Last edited by newarts; 01-11-2011 at 05:10 PM.
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah, what Lowell, RioRico and newarts said. I've spent a ton of money on various macro lenses, and for just macro shooting these two options work as well as anything:

1) An M42 bellows with an enlarger lens or even a regular M42 lens
2) Cheap extension tubes and a fast 50. The A 50/2 should work just fine on there.
01-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks a lot all for help.

I believe my best bet is picking up that cheap extension tube for now on ebay.

Looks like they all ship from china though.. oh well.

01-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K20D Quote
Thanks a lot all for help.

I believe my best bet is picking up that cheap extension tube for now on ebay....

I normally recommend bellows for general purpose macros but you specified jewelry; in that case I think the relatively low magnification usually required and the fact you won't want the bellows frame interfering with your lighting, etc, led me to recommend tubes.

Dave

PS Fotodiox ships from Illinois. A good, reliable company in my experience.

Macro Extension Tube kit for Pentax K, PK mount camera - eBay (item 360184072527 end time Jan-20-11 07:47:38 PST)