Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2011, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

If Pentax is good enough for bomb scopes . . .

Thought you'd all get a kick out of this. I shot a college basketball game last weekend, and the guy next to me on the baseline eyed my snazzy Asahi Pentax SMC-M 50mm 1.4. I'm used to other sports shooters looking skeptically at my Pentax gear, but this gentleman seemed genuinely interested/impressed.

We struck up a conversation, and he admitted that he'd always wanted to try Pentax lenses. He said his friend was involved in building bomb scopes for the Air Force and told him that "Pentax glass is the best there is. They just don't advertise like the others."

I told him the lens was older than me, and he added: "Good for you for not falling for all that Canon Nikon b.s."

I was also stopped on the street in North Carolina once by a guy who said, "I've never seen a Pentax DSLR in real life."

I've never been prouder to be a lifelong Pentaxian!

01-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool story .

It's often people much older than me who look fondly at my pentax gear, but I also find they know a lot more about photography than the people my own age who all own Canon kits .
01-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

thats whats up!!!

I might be getting a media pass next time I go to a college basketball game, I'll be sure to have my Pentax as my second body......
01-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have it as first body!

01-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

MArketeers (is that a word?) lead us to believe that only Canikon is worth using (Nikon if you're a dude who likes sports, Canon if you're a women who likes Oprah and decoration reality shows, apparently). But when people see the results from a Pentax, they start wondering. It happens to me again and again.

Pentax could and probably should build one, tremendously agressive marketing campaign, pay what it costs, and create a buzz. Then surf on that for a while.
01-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I one had someone stop me to remark fondly on my shooting Pentax--he was shooting Nikon at the moment, but liked Pentax. It is somewhat ironic that, while the other brands may better known, it's us Pentax shooters who people tend to remark upon, probably because it is not the usual.
01-11-2011, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

It's nice to get those reactions.

I walked into an art store in San Diego last year and the owner spotted my Pentax and said, "No one shoots with Pentax anymore!"

Needles to say, I didn't buy anything.

David