Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

The beauty of a new camera / sensor is that it will improve ALL your lenses. If we worry about them being replaced by newer / better models then we'd never buy anything !

If you can get #300 for your 10d as trade in for a Kx, as Donalson suggests then that is a great deal. I also mentioned the Tamron 28-75/2.8 - as did Paperbag - and that would be a great replacement (for the 17-70) lense for your needs, but I'd still try the 17-70 on the Kx first to see if it will now satisfy your requirements - especially as you'd be losing the wide end which you say you use a lot ... and would probably miss.

The fact you may be able to borrow a Kx is fantastic ... it should really help you make your mind up one way or the other.

Last edited by Frogfish; 01-10-2011 at 11:58 PM.
01-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 lending the k-x and taking it from there sounds like a plan :-)
01-11-2011, 06:00 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To jump right in to the sensor vs cpu argument, I'm all for not being on that constant upgrade train. But I'm using a K10D, a body from 2006. It's three generations behind the current models. I've actually, for the most part, made up my mind that I'm going to try to get a K-r. The improvements over the K-x seem well worth $200 to me. Still unsure on the lens situation though. Seems like I'll probably have to make do with the kit lens for now, but I think I'm willing to do that.

Also, i really appreciate all the help I've gotten. Thanks, guys.
01-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of photography goal(s) do you aim in 2011? macro/portrait/landscape/wedding/flash/high speed/kids/live performance/street/abstract/product etc.
Investments should have a specific goal. Do you really need an upgrade? or will the new purchase solve your currently needs?

What you currently have is not bad at all.

There is so many area I haven't been touched in photography. I wish the k5 so much, but as second thought I can wait. I also wish to upgrade some of my lenses, but I can wait too. I have just enough to move to the next area of photography. I mean, most people ignore the small investment like filters, flash gel, cheap triggers, but they open up a whole new world for me.

Last edited by hoanpham; 01-11-2011 at 06:43 AM.
01-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
What kind of photography goal(s) do you aim in 2011? macro/portrait/landscape/wedding/flash/high speed/kids/live performance/street/abstract/product etc.
Investments should have a specific goal. Do you really need an upgrade? or will the new purchase solve your currently needs?

What you currently have is not bad at all.

There is so many area I haven't been touched in photography. I wish the k5 so much, but as second thought I can wait. I also wish to upgrade some of my lenses, but I can wait too. I have just enough to move to the next area of photography. I mean, most people ignore the small investment like filters, flash gel, cheap triggers, but they open up a whole new world for me.
Well, I already have and use all the "small investment" items you mentioned. As for my goals, I'm looking to expand my horizons in 2011, but the stuff I "need" to shoot is family candids and portraits.

As for the person who asked about lighting, I have 2 Sunpak 383s, 1 Viv 285HV, Cactus V4 set (1 Tx/3 Rx), 3 light stands, 2 37" convertible umbrellas, 1 43" shoot-through, and Rosco's Strobist kit. I'd like to add a multi-surface reflector with boom, and I'd also love one of those pop-up backdrops, but I really don't shoot posed portraits very often at all.

I'm carrying my K10D with the DA18-55 mounted today, with NO GRIP. That's the big bummer about the K-r, but I think I could live with it.
01-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #36
Veteran Member

You already have the most needed.
If me, I would go for one of the Tamrons but prefer 28-75 f2.8 and DA*50-135, sell the Sigma and FA50. I shoot kids and portraits, and need the extra end around 70mm without changing lens. This combo may exceed the investment limit but worth a try.

I also consider the new DA18-135wr and DA12-24, but these lens are not as fast, and wide angle portraits are also some difficult to do well.
01-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
To jump right in to the sensor vs cpu argument, I'm all for not being on that constant upgrade train. But I'm using a K10D, a body from 2006.
Sure, but be aware that the improvement in IQ will be in high ISO, but there will be little to no improvement at ISO 100-400, where IQ is the highest anyways.

You want to invest in lenses that will give you the best quality at ISO 100-400. High ISO (800) works in a pinch, and even with the K5, high ISO should be avoided if possible.

Simply put - the software used by your CPU is more important than the CPU. A K10D with a FA 43 is going to take better pictures than a K5 with the kit lens.

01-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member

DA 40mm + DA 70mm should come to around 1k Then you'll have some of the best glass you can get.
01-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe so, but I'd screw myself out of a lot of photos not having anything shorter than 40mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
DA 40mm + DA 70mm should come to around 1k Then you'll have some of the best glass you can get.
01-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, guys, I bought the K-r, which arrived today. I LOVE IT. It has the dreaded Tungsten FF issue, but I can deal with it for now. My current plans are to stretch my budget a little and get a Sigma 10-20 (since I like wide) and a Sigma 28/1.8 to be my "normal." (The budget stretching is because I really, really want to keep my FA50 if at all possible, because I love it.)
01-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Congratulations. Enjoy it.
01-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You have a family and want to take shots of them both inside and outdoors - a one lense solution (31 Ltd) is not going to fly and could well find you very dissatisfied.
Sorry, I missed your comment. It does fly, I can promise you.

As I said in my post, it's the only lens I currently use on my K5 and I could not be more satisfied. I use it for both indoors (with flash) and outdoors and I can live with the limitations (that's why it's called a Limited, I guess )

It's not said that I will not extend this kit with a wider lens and a longer lens, but not for family shots.
01-25-2011, 04:10 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Congrats on new kit :-) Hopefully a firmware update will sort the phase (viewfinder) AF issue soonish (until then there is always live view contrast AF).
01-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Sure, but be aware that the improvement in IQ will be in high ISO, but there will be little to no improvement at ISO 100-400, where IQ is the highest anyways.

You want to invest in lenses that will give you the best quality at ISO 100-400. High ISO (800) works in a pinch, and even with the K5, high ISO should be avoided if possible.

Simply put - the software used by your CPU is more important than the CPU. A K10D with a FA 43 is going to take better pictures than a K5 with the kit lens.
Oh I think that is absolutely not true (within reason). I have a 43 that I used a lot on my K7 ..... one of the biggest reasons for me buying the K5, and why I am absolutely ecstatic with it (and why I think Lavascript will love his new Kr), is the low light/high ISO ability that the K7 (even with the 43) couldn't handle.
Noise will kill any shot in low light - even taken with the 43 - but put any decent lense on a K5, Kr or Kx and you're going to at least get the shot, most of the time, with the ability of those cameras to utilise 6,400 and sometimes even beyond. Now not everyone is averse to using flash as much as I am (I use it but not unless I absolutely must) but if like me you prefer au naturale then the sensor in those cameras is a Godsend.

High ISO only needs to be avoided if it affects your shot - but in many cases it will actually help you get the shot. And now of course the OP has an even faster lens, the FA50/1.4, to go with his sparkly new Kr sensor.
01-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Sorry, I missed your comment. It does fly, I can promise you.

As I said in my post, it's the only lens I currently use on my K5 and I could not be more satisfied. I use it for both indoors (with flash) and outdoors and I can live with the limitations (that's why it's called a Limited, I guess )

It's not said that I will not extend this kit with a wider lens and a longer lens, but not for family shots.

If you are happy with a single lense solution then I'd say that is a fantastic solution (and your wife and bank manager must really love you) ..... however I would also guess that 98% of the rest of us wouldn't be so happy ..... I mean how on earth would that work out with feeding our LBA ?