Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Brand new DA* 16-50 squeaking when focusing....???

I just got my 16-50 DA* in the mail brand new from Abe's of Maine. Put it on the K-7 and it seems to autofocus quickly and lock with precision, BUT in the process makes a very audible squeaking noise when focusing......is this normal or should I send this copy back? I can't tell based off my searches whether this is linked to a sign of SDM failure and i have a dud or whether it is normal.......is the 16-50 supposed to be completely silent in focusing until the blip sound to say it is locked or is some squeaking expected/normal??? Argg! Thanks!

01-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Well...I used to be a mechanical engineer, and from my point of view - send it back. You have two parts rubbing against each other with enough force to cause an audible sound - that means there is interference there somewhere.
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with 5shot.

While I can't say the squeaking in my own 16-50 indicated an imminent problem, it did sometimes make noise. A month out of warranty it was not locking on focus properly and there seemed to be a bit of back-focusing.

Now that the SDM has been replaced it works a charm and is silent, but it was expensive.
01-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It should not squeak. I guess you could try manually focusing it back and forth to see if that eliminates it, but otherwise, I think you need to get another copy.

01-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
ok well I really am wondering if I should even get another copy as opposed to a refund...... I mean it sounds as if nobody has ever has this lens function without issue for more than 2 years and that is at best? Maybe I should just return it for a refund.... really kills me as this is the perfect lens for me but these reliability issues....
01-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine squeaked from new.....SDM started acting up after 6 months or so....just got it back from warranty repair before Christmas. No more squeak.
01-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I tired 2 copies (returned both for severe back focusing before giving up and now waiting for a 12-24) of DA*16-50 and both were super silent. Squeeking is a bad sign I think.
01-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I'd say spend the next couple days playing with and testing the lens for sharpness wide open, wide angle, and edge to edge. If you come away liking the optics, keep it and get a squaretrade warranty. If you sign up for their mailing list, they mail out a 30% off coupon every tuesday.

Just to clarify, this is an electronic squeak, right?

01-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As it was mentioned by others, send it back. This is a prelude to a failure.

Mine sqeaked too, and it was a new "replacement" of a previously defective unit.

The squeaky lens was sent back for repair.

JP
01-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
So is there such a thing as getting say 3-4 years of worry-free use out of a 16-50? I mean I know this hasn't been a lot of people's experiences, but have some had this? Is there a point to me trading this one in in hopes of a functioning lens for a couple years? If I should expect no more than 1 year than I don't want to spend this much money on for the lens
01-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My initial 16-50 failed about six months after getting it. Since having SDM motors replaced, I have had no issues with it. I got a Mack Warranty with it -- 6 years extended warranty. Still, there are many who have had no problems with the lens for several years of usage.