Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #1

DA 18-135 on the K-7 vs the K-5?

Our forum's review says despite the lack of speed of the 18-135 lens the K-5's high ISO makes up for it, making it a very versatile combo. Will there be a drastic difference in versatility if putting it on the K-7 instead, seeing as the K-5's ISO is better? Will it only be a "middle-of-the-day" setup on the K-7? I don't want to spend the money on a K-5, but need something that will take decent photos in the mornings and evenings without carrying a tripod everywhere!

Lastly, is the K-5 w/ 18-135 kit available anywhere in the US yet?

Thanks for the advice! -LE

01-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Loren,

THe 18-135 will work equally as well on the K-7 as it would on the K-5. The lens is a f3.5-5.6 which by all means isnt a fast as a constant f2.8, but I wouldn't say it's a lens I could only shoot in high iso's to make up for the slower telephoto end. For example, I own the 18-250 which is f3.5- 6.3 and have used it for the past 3 years on my K10D and my K-7 just fine, turning out excellent quality shots within the camera's capabilities. (I normally shoot up to iso 3200 with fine results) By all accounts, the 18-135 should produce even better quality, not only due to the speed, but also the shorter range of the lens overall should produce less distortion and softness at the extreme focal lengths. Sure, it would be nice to have a K-5 and have the ability to shoot in higher iso's at will, but I wouldn't let that be my deciding factor when I have a budget to stick to and the return on investment of this lens paired with the K-7 versus the K-5 is minimal.
That aside, the tripod is still your friend when taking shots in extremely low light, no matter which camera body you own and which iso's you shoot. While having cleaner high iso's do give you an advantage, a little stability, be it a tripod, monopod, or any other stable surface or gadget you use, will generally give you better results during low light shooting.

Jason
01-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the advice, I guess I will wait until the K-3 comes out to pickup a K-5!