Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ínnestad, Kristianstad
Posts: 11
What lens to get for upgrade?

I┤m thinking of upgrading from the kit lenses for my K200D. But I get more and more confused by reading different lens tests and forums. What to choose when on a really tight budget? All help welcome.

Cheers/ Magnus

01-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Photos: Albums
Posts: 588
Why are you thinking of upgrading? What do you find limiting about the lenses you have?

That will guide you towards the best solution.
01-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ínnestad, Kristianstad
Posts: 11
Original Poster
I┤ve read that the 18-55 lens is quite good. But the main change would be for the 80-200. Would like a bit longer range.
01-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
As suggested, ask yourself: What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have? When I moved from an advanced P&S to a dSLR, my answers were: superwide, superlong, and low light, and then macro. Your answers may lead you elsewhere. What do you want to shoot, and how?

Without knowing your specifics, I can only recommend some of the usual: used manual-focus primes. Good cheap 28/2.8 and Fast Fifty and 135/2.8 and 200/4 lenses abound, like under US$25 each. For macro and experimentation, a bellows (US$30) and tubes (US$8 per set) and enlarger lenses of 50-100-150mm (under US$20 each) are fun.

But if you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else. Where do you want to go with photography? What will get you there? Then you can work on what it costs.

01-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior Member
joakimfors's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lund, Sweden
Posts: 237
There is a DA 55-300 on Tradera right now that might be an alternative.
01-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Photos: Albums
Posts: 588
QuoteOriginally posted by rush68 Quote
I┤ve read that the 18-55 lens is quite good. But the main change would be for the 80-200. Would like a bit longer range.
Your best option there is the 55-300. I have one, and it has produced nice results on the K200D. Not sure what your budget is. You may find a good deal on a used one here.

55-300/K200D examples (click for larger size):







Tamron sells a 70-300 that is a bit cheaper and is capable of closer focusing.
01-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ínnestad, Kristianstad
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
As suggested, ask yourself: What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have? When I moved from an advanced P&S to a dSLR, my answers were: superwide, superlong, and low light, and then macro. Your answers may lead you elsewhere. What do you want to shoot, and how?

Without knowing your specifics, I can only recommend some of the usual: used manual-focus primes. Good cheap 28/2.8 and Fast Fifty and 135/2.8 and 200/4 lenses abound, like under US$25 each. For macro and experimentation, a bellows (US$30) and tubes (US$8 per set) and enlarger lenses of 50-100-150mm (under US$20 each) are fun.

But if you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else. Where do you want to go with photography? What will get you there? Then you can work on what it costs.
Maybe that┤s why I┤m confused. I don┤t have a plan right now. The main part of my photography will be nature(especially water), some landscapes, low light and some wild animals.
01-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ínnestad, Kristianstad
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
Your best option there is the 55-300. I have one, and it has produced nice results on the K200D. Not sure what your budget is. You may find a good deal on a used one here.

55-300/K200D examples (click for larger size):







Tamron sells a 70-300 that is a bit cheaper and is capable of closer focusing.
Mmm, this one many Pentax users regard as a good one. Will check it out.

01-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ínnestad, Kristianstad
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote
There is a DA 55-300 on Tradera right now that might be an alternative.
Thanks for hint
01-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Photos: Albums
Posts: 588
QuoteOriginally posted by rush68 Quote
Maybe that┤s why I┤m confused. I don┤t have a plan right now. The main part of my photography will be nature(especially water), some landscapes, low light and some wild animals.
The kit lens is very useful for landscapes. Try to not to get wider than 22-24mm and F8 or F11, use the lens hood and a tripod whenever possible.

Low light gets expensive quickly unless you are willing and capable of manual focusing.
01-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ínnestad, Kristianstad
Posts: 11
Original Poster
Have begun checking manual lenses as well, as this is where I began my photography.
01-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
OK, manual primes: A Vivitar or Pentax-M 24mm or 28mm, f/2.8 or f/3.5, for landscapes; probably under US$50. A Pentax-M or -A 50/1.7 or Super Takumar 55/1.8 or Helios-44 58/2 for lowish light; US$30-60. Various 50-55/1.4's can often be snagged for under US$50. Almost any 135mm for a bit more reach -- I just sold a SuperTak 135/3.5 for US$20 (sob!). The best budget manual zoom: a legendary Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5, well under US$100. Those will take you places!
01-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by rush68 Quote
I┤m thinking of upgrading from the kit lenses for my K200D. But I get more and more confused by reading different lens tests and forums. What to choose when on a really tight budget? All help welcome.

Cheers/ Magnus
You definitely need to figure out what you want/need out of a new lens but if you are looking for a direct replacement for the kit 18-55 then you cannot go wrong with the 16-45mm. Although you should be aware of the limitations of the 16-45, it is big and bulky, at 16mm the barrel extends and retracts at 45mm (opposite of most other lenses), because it extends at 16mm the pop-up flash is useless (it leaves a big shadow in the middle bottom of your photo. Beyond those the lens renders great IQ and a constant F4 is convenient. That is my suggestion for a direct budget replacement for the kit lens.

If you find out your other wants/needs then post them so we can better help you choose correctly. Good luck!
01-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ínnestad, Kristianstad
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
OK, manual primes: A Vivitar or Pentax-M 24mm or 28mm, f/2.8 or f/3.5, for landscapes; probably under US$50. A Pentax-M or -A 50/1.7 or Super Takumar 55/1.8 or Helios-44 58/2 for lowish light; US$30-60. Various 50-55/1.4's can often be snagged for under US$50. Almost any 135mm for a bit more reach -- I just sold a SuperTak 135/3.5 for US$20 (sob!). The best budget manual zoom: a legendary Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5, well under US$100. Those will take you places!
Yep. Thanks for info There┤s a lot to check for on the manual side.
01-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ínnestad, Kristianstad
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
You definitely need to figure out what you want/need out of a new lens but if you are looking for a direct replacement for the kit 18-55 then you cannot go wrong with the 16-45mm. Although you should be aware of the limitations of the 16-45, it is big and bulky, at 16mm the barrel extends and retracts at 45mm (opposite of most other lenses), because it extends at 16mm the pop-up flash is useless (it leaves a big shadow in the middle bottom of your photo. Beyond those the lens renders great IQ and a constant F4 is convenient. That is my suggestion for a direct budget replacement for the kit lens.

If you find out your other wants/needs then post them so we can better help you choose correctly. Good luck!
Mmm, that┤s the one I┤ve had my eyes on in the first place. Don┤t know why Nikon and Canon-users say that Pentax don┤t have a variety of lenses..hahaha. There┤s a lot for god sake
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade lens tubamatt Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 06-15-2010 04:12 PM
kx kit lens upgrade dehanson1 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 18 03-02-2010 11:53 PM
Upgrade Advice: Upgrade Lenses or Camera krs Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 07-17-2009 05:24 AM
Suggestion for a first lens upgrade andrea_rm Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 12-14-2008 03:32 PM
Lens Upgrade questions? Rmspar72 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 10-26-2008 02:44 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top