Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax lens rating on DxO

I was just browsing through the site`s lens rating, and I am curious, did anybody noticed the terrible ratings for Pentax lenses tested either on K20D, Km or K2OOD?
The overall winner is Micro Nikkor 105 on D3X with 34 points (DxOMark - DxOMark Score), while first Pentax`s lens is DA 16-45 on Km with only 13 points (http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Lens-with-Camera/Lens-rankings/DxOMark-Score DFA 50 macro is even one point lower
so the question is, are all those ratings body dependent, or they just messed up the test procedure (which I doubt)?
I am sort of rather surprized with these results....
thanks

01-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guarantee you you're going to get a lot of replies about DxO using arbitrary metrics and technical meaninglessnesses that undervalue Pentax lenses relative to their competition.

It is ironic, because everybody was wetting themselves about the K-5 edging out Nikon and Canon's rigs in the sensor tests.
01-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The main thing that surprised me was how low the DA*16-50 scored. Why were there several entries for each lens?

On another note, besides the 50 mm macro, I don't see any of Pentax's higher regarded lenses as being tested yet.
01-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I guarantee you you're going to get a lot of replies about DxO using arbitrary metrics and technical meaninglessnesses that undervalue Pentax lenses relative to their competition.

It is ironic, because everybody was wetting themselves about the K-5 edging out Nikon and Canon's rigs in the sensor tests.
well I tend to trust these frenchmen

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
The main thing that surprised me was how low the DA*16-50 scored. Why were there several entries for each lens?

On another note, besides the 50 mm macro, I don't see any of Pentax's higher regarded lenses as being tested yet.
yeah, no other good quality primes...have you checked the resolution results for 50 macro? it is soo terrible
hmm, weird weird

01-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ha Ha - it's a bit of a joke really isn't it.

Micro Nikkor 105 on D3X
Pentax`s lens is DA 16-45 on Km

That should tell you all you need to know, you just can't compare a D3X to a KM !!

In fairness you can adjust the tests yourself to cameras of similar standards / abilties.
01-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
so the question is, are all those ratings body dependent, or they just messed up the test procedure (which I doubt)?
I am sort of rather surprized with these results....
thanks
obviously they are body dependent, just see the different scoring for the same lens with different bodies
01-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
obviously they are body dependent, just see the different scoring for the same lens with different bodies
I agree
maybe testing DA 35 macro ltd on K5 would threaten other brands? :P

01-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #8

DA 35 ltd isn't that sharp!
Anyway I supose it has to do with noise filtering and the way different brands give emphasis on rendering parameters. So I doubt K5 would bring far better results either.

QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
I agree
maybe testing DA 35 macro ltd on K5 would threaten other brands? :P
01-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

i disagree, the DA 35mm Macro is one of the sharpest Pentax made lenses out there.

QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
Anyway I supose it has to do with noise filtering and the way different brands give emphasis on rendering parameters. So I doubt K5 would bring far better results either.
01-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
have you got that lens? I do and my eyes often bleed
01-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Weird, I just went through the Sigma lenses, I've often felt that 3rd party lenses offer good value for their money , 26 pages of combinations tested, all on Nikons and Canons, not one tested on a Pentax. It's nice they posted what they did for Nikon and Canon users, I'm not seeing much of interest.

So their top rated lenses Nikkor105, SOny Planar 85, and Sigma 85 1.4 in third place. Now I can order the Sigma 85 from my favourite on-line camera store for a little over $1100, but, it's not tested on a Pentax. Why not? What good are lens ratings if they are not inclusive? SO question, what would the rating of a Sigma 85 mm F 1.4 be if placed on a K-5?

I recently blew a chance to purchase a Pentax FA 100 macro, second hand, so I thought I'd check it out, see what I missed. It's not even on the list of tested lenses. From the look of it, most of what they've tested from Pentax appear to be kit lenses. it looks like most of what they tested were about 5 lenses on 3or 4 different bodies. It's too bad, because I'd really like to know how the Pentax 100 macro stacks up against the Nikkor 105. You won't find out here. I'm not saying their testing is bad, I am saying it's woefully incomplete, way too incomplete to be drawing real comparisons about what the best lens and camera might be.

Without the help of the lens manufactures, ie, giving them some lenses to test, this is never going to e an important feature of this site. And testing a PENTAX DA 16-45mm F4, Pentax SMC D FA 50mm F2.8 MACRO, an 18-55 kit lens, and a few slow 50-200ish zooms, on a K-20D, a K10 D and a Km, how is that any kind of a test to determine which Pentax lenses are rated highest? Lets just hope it's a work in progress.

Did the OP know what he was posting?

I am appreciative of the heads up on the Sigma 85 1.4 though. Anyone know anything about it?

QuoteQuote:

Ready to recant? Or do think comparing Pentax kit lenses to other's primes is a good test?

Last edited by normhead; 01-11-2011 at 03:29 PM.
01-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What do the numbers mean? Is this some kind of Photozone-like resolution test that rolls border and center sharpness together at various focal lengths and apertures and gives a single score? If so, I like photozone's format better -- I don't want a single number for a given lens, I want data that help me interpret where a lens is strong and where it is weak.
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Now I can order the Sigma 85 from my favourite on-line camera store for a little over $1100,
What Sigma 85mm are you looking at? The new Sigma 85mm f1.4 can be had for $899 shipped from Adorama or Abe's of Maine.
01-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What do the numbers mean? Is this some kind of Photozone-like resolution test that rolls border and center sharpness together at various focal lengths and apertures and gives a single score? If so, I like photozone's format better -- I don't want a single number for a given lens, I want data that help me interpret where a lens is strong and where it is weak.
I also prefer photozone, and slrgear is not bad but they should make more tests of Pentax lenses imo
01-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really like the way DXO tests the camera and lens as a combination. That makes perfect sense to me, it shows the differences between bodies and systems. Look at the Olympus results. Sure they have some sharp lenses, but there's a penalty when you can only mount a lens on a body with a smaller sensor and lower resolution. Large sensored cameras with more pixels show more detail. You can't quantify that difference at any other testing site.

The final number is a bit arbitrary, but there are graphs and explanations for more detail on why a combo achieved a certain score. I hope they'll keep adding to their database.