Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #16

Original Poster
Ex Finn, I love the idea of a fully sealed setup but the reason of course comes down to reliability, and I am thinking reliability of a screw-drive lens without WR will be higher than an SDM with WR since I am more likely to have SDM fail than get water in a screw-drive. The 18-135 DC, who's new motor we don't know about yet in terms of longevity, seems like it would be a good alternative but it is not much cheaper than the DA*, $500 vs $729.

I got an 18-250 this morning from another forum member for much less than $500, and I can use that extra money to help me pickup a 2nd lens. My only issue will be keeping my lenses dry in wet weather. So contrary to my original thread title I have decided that if I set aside the WR priority, for maximum versatility, compactness, longevity, and value, I am best off going with a DA 10-17 and DA 18-250. For me that should cover 95% of my needs, with the remaining hole being when the sun is low in the sky and something fast would be needed.

Thank you all very much for weighing in, I really appreciate your insight. I will get the DA* 16-50 as soon as the motor situation is put to rest and it is no longer an SDM (I did go out on a limb and put the bucks down to order one and got it this week and it was so squeaky I knew it was working wrong out of the box).

cheers -LE