Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the Sigma 17-50 seems to get my nod. plus HSM HSM HSM.

01-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the Sigma 17-50 seems to get my nod. plus HSM HSM HSM.
Yes, that is an even better lens from what I have learned, though I would be hesitant to pay for the OS in the lens.

QuoteQuote:
Ash The Tamron 17-50 certainly isn't 'cheap' on build quality, just like the 28-75 and 70-200, but it is no comparison to that of the 16-50, SDM issues notwithstanding.
Ash: Not sure about you, but I feel my 17-50mm is better built than my 28-75mm--I have not owned a 70-200, nor the Da* 16-50mm. However, I do know and appreciate the beautiful craftmanship which accompanies so many of the Pentax lenses.
01-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can well appreciate the value of "sealing" when shooting in a dusty place. I had several film cameras repaired after shooting in places like Monument Valley in the USA.

But water will get in eventually and it won't come out. It's probably too early to judge the long term result.
01-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That's the point - many photographers do need f/2.8 at least, and that's where this lens performs.
You mean that's where the DA* doesn't perform (well). The similar lenses from Tamron and Sigma perform better wide open. This is the only lens I regret buying so far... >

01-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
You mean that's where the DA* doesn't perform (well). The similar lenses from Tamron and Sigma perform better wide open. This is the only lens I regret buying so far... >
I believe that quote was taken somewhat out of context. That reply was to the OP back at the start of the thread when he was comparing the 16-45/4 and 16-50/2.8. It was in reference to the need for f/2.8 as opposed to having a lens with a max aperture of f/4. I don't believe it was meant to compare the DA*16-50 with either the Tamron or Sigma 17-50.
01-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA performs well wide open, but the Tamron (non-VC) and new Sigma 17-50 blow it out of the water. You can visit Photozone for the math, or look and compare images from all lenses--either way it comes to the same thing.

Due to drop off in the extreme borders by the Sigma, the Tamron 17-50mm wins wide open, though the Sigma handles vignetting better wide open--as well as the Da.

I get a kick out of those people who say all that matters is real world pics, that the math and science of lens technology doesn't apply when they are trying to surmount a defense for the Da 16-50mm. However, these are often the same people, who when Photozone makes their argument look good, copy & paste Photozone tests here in posts, for all to see. Wanting your cake and eating it too.
01-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #22
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope. I meant what I said.
I have seen the Tamron and Sigma equivalents and still consider (however subjectively) the DA* doing a stellar job wide open. But indeed, I do not desire to compare the DA* with the others (just the 16-45).
I prepare no defence for the 16-50 JT, only saying what has given me the best results - MTF data aside.
01-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What this tells me is that the 16-45 is really up with the best in all respects except it doesn't have the o-rings and doesn't have F2.8.

I think I will just keep it.

I mostly use the K5 in 10MP mode anyway (**** jpeg setting though) because I already have 53GB of still images, and the size grows rapidly as I get better cameras I back it all up on DLT tape (stored off-site) which holds 160GB.

The other thing which is apparent is that one should not buy the 16-50 DA* by mail order. Especially not from overseas. Here in the UK a lot of people buy from the US or HK mail order sellers. The price is generally about 30% below the shops but the whole deal hangs on Customs not spotting the package and imposing the 20% VAT and some import duty. A few years ago this was not an issue but clearly they have realised that with Ebay being really big there is a lot of money to be had and now I am finding that most of the time they do spot it and you also get hit with a collection fee of 8-20. And of course if there is an issue, what is the point? It costs a fortune to send the item back. Any warranty is basically meaningless in a foreign mail order situation.

Last edited by peterh337; 01-14-2011 at 08:38 AM.