Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Something wrong with DA70mm ltd case and lens cap?

Today, my new DA 70mm limited arrived. When unpacking, I noticed a few things:

- There was no plastic wrapping around the lens case and lens (like there was around my DA 21mm and 35mm).

- The material used for the lens case is different than that of my 21mm:

- The Pentax logo on the lens cap is not centered correctly:

The DA 21mm is on the left, the DA 70mm on the right.

There seems to be nothing wrong with the lens or lens hood. Should I return this lens, or is this normal and should I keep it?

Last edited by -Mous-; 01-13-2011 at 01:09 PM.
01-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That cap is probably a production defect, but the case seems normal. I'd exchange it nevertheless just in case, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Or you could just consider it as "rare, one of a kind, special off-centre lens cap!"
01-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I really don't care much about a small production defect on the cap. And if the lens case is normal, I'll keep the lens. I was just worried a bit that the case and cap had been replaced by knock offs and the lens had been sold as "new", while actually being second hand.

01-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #5

i bought one in november and im pretty sure that there was a wrapping plastic
01-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've got four DA Ltds, and three different material variations on the soft pouches, so I don't think that's abnormal. The cap logo isn't a "problem," but would probably bug me anyway
01-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I've given this some more thought and frankly, the only thing that's really wrong is the centering of the logo on the lens cap. I'm not willing to send this lens back just because of a not-so-perfect lens cap.

The plastic wrapping could be missing because the shop might have inspected the lens before shipping it. If so, they obviously missed the lens cap "defect" and neglected wrapping it in plastic again. In spite this, the lens is in pristine condition, so I'm not complaining. Also the casing being different has been confirmed to be normal. So these things don't really bother me.

I've sent "De Beukelaar" (the official Pentax distributor in the Benelux) an e-mail asking for a new lens cap. I'll just wait for a response from them. If they send one, I'm happy. If they don't send one, I'm still happy (although maybe a little less ).

In the end, all that counts is that this lens rocks!
01-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Lens cap? What lens cap?

01-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Haha, nice! Well, I've already had a response from De Beukelaar. Not really what I had expected though:
QuoteQuote:
Thank you for your e-mail. I will be out of the office till Monday 17 January 2011. For urgent matters please contact the office at following number: 03/870.59.00.

Best regards,

Daniel Leibovitz
01-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have 4 DA Ltds, the last one I bought was the DA15 which came with a more dimpled pouch like the one your DA70 came in, the other pouches were all smoother. All my Ltds came in plastic bags inside the pouches, and all had a centred logo on the cap.

I agree about asking for a cap exchange.
01-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Probably missing the plastic because some other dude returned it after seeing the cap