Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Wide angle teleconverter

Hi

I am looking for a cheap, good quality for value wide angle converter for 18-55 kit lens for K100D.

Any suggestions? Are these tele converters reducing the picture quality badly?

Thanks a lot.

Pietrach

01-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Unfortunately yes, they do reduce the image quality significantly. Raynox is one of the better teleconverter brands, you may want to look into their products if you are set on going that route.
01-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it's wide angle, it's not a teleconverter.
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Its worth looking at some of the wide-angle converters from Canon, but designed for compacts as the 58mm "WC-DC58N" version will fit a 58mm filter thread and the image degradation is not TOO bad. I have one for my Canon A720 compact, and have tried it on my GX10 with the Mk 1 18-55mm zoom (with a step-up ring), but the results are not brilliant.

Other downsides: VERY big and heavy, and no filter thread at the front - so you can't fit a lens hood.

However, AVOID the single-element ones like the plague - the "Digital King" gives absolutely awful image quality (like looking through a "blur" filter) on the Canon, and far worse than the Canon converter (which I got secondhand for not much more than a new and crap Digital King, which I had unfortunately bought before).

Altogether much better to save up the cash and buy a proper wide-angle (Sigma 10-20mms are very good) and you may be able to get one secondhand if you look carefully.

PS: and don't bother with the teleconverter type to increase the focal length as you will get as good, if not better, results by cropping the image from the standard lens. I bought the Canon version of that for the compact, but sent it back to Amazon after trying a few shots and finding that the cropped image was better!!!

Last edited by jeallen01; 01-13-2011 at 03:09 PM.
01-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
although they seem to work well on my Kodak Bridge camera (which is what these are intended for) they do not work well on SLRs.

I have tried 2 different ones and aside from the barrel distortion, the CA is terrible.

Many objects at the edge of the frame have complete separation of color into 3 distinct images. I am talking of CA measured in terms of 100s of pixels not just 1-2 pixels.

unless you are printing in the 4x6 range on full frame the images are useless.

These were tried on 24-28mm Manual focus primes, Cant answer how teh kit lens would behave but don't hold your breath
01-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seconding the Sigma 10-20. You've coughed up for an interchangeable-lens camera, change the lens.
01-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Unfortunately yes, they do reduce the image quality significantly. Raynox is one of the better teleconverter brands, you may want to look into their products if you are set on going that route.
I think you will find it difficult to find a Raynox with a big enough rear aperture to fit the 18-55mm filter ring (and you may well need additional step-down rings which may not be in the adaptor kit which which comes with the converter - and then you may see a lot of vignetting.)
01-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I don't recall how the Raynox 0.66 performed with the kit lens; I'm pretty sure that if it (or a Olympus 0.8x or others I tested) extended the kit's width effectively I'd remember!

Last edited by newarts; 01-13-2011 at 05:39 PM.
01-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Schneider is considered one of the planet's better lensmakers. I bought a Schneider WA adapter for about US$20 on eBay not so long ago. It's made for Kodak P&S's and is labeled SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH XENAR WIDE ANGLE LENS 0.75x55mm (Made in Japan). It's rather intrusive and has a built-in hood. I couldn't find my 52-55mm ring to test it on the DA18-55, so I grabbed the first 55mm thread lens I could find, a Tomioka 28/2.8. The adapter makes it a 20mm. I just now tried a few shots. No major aberrations that I can see, nor fringing etc. But the DA18-55@20mm is sharper. No surprise.

It helps to understand the history of strap-ons like this. They were quite common with early camcorders, and still work well with many video-cine applications. That is because with smaller frames and moving images, the adapter's optical weaknesses just aren't as noticeable. I have the wide and tele adapters from my dad's Sony Hi-8 camcorder, where they worked seamlessly. I used them on a 5mpx P&S with less-than-sparkling results -- soft at best, blurry at worst, and aberrations up the yazoo. I then put them on a sharp Industar-50/3.5 on my K20D. Utter rubbish.

Yes, you have an interchangeable-lens camera, so get a real lens. Alas, real lenses in the ultrawide realm aren't cheap, never have been, probably never will be. So, sell your sister on eBay, or rob a minimart, or get a night job, and buy a real lens.