Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #1

Brisbane and the Cricket

Images in the evening. First is a shot as the sun sets behind me, of Brisbane from Southbank Parklands. Sun was virtually gone, but the city was warm and soft.

K10D and the Sigma 10-20 EX DG, at 10mm

Just to compare, I took another shot with the Pentax FA 31 1.8 Limited on the camera, even at 1/60th and F4 this is a real fine lens, very glad I found one for the right price. The light was really fading so I did not think this shot would be as good as it was. All pics hand held btw.

This one was a lucky shot, as I walked out of our garage, I noted this guy sitting on my Suzuki Burgman muffler. I waked back inside, grabbed the K10D with the Tamron 18-250 Di II and snapped of 2 shots at 250mm using the onboard flash. He had the longest antennae I had seen, one facing each way, I guess for hedging his bets?

You know, I really love this Pentax and the amazing range of lenses that are available. I am not hung up on the name 'Pentax' for my lenses, there are some really fine alternatives out there.

Phil

10-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hee hee .... I thought there was going to shots from a cricket match ... DAMN.

Nice work ... Southbank is a nice area (have only been there once though)

I wish I had a FA31 Ltd .. too pricey for me though .... although I have just picked up my 75-300 and Tamron 90mm Macro today .... so will be having fun with those.
10-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
yeah Mechan1k, I got a bit lucky, could not find one for ages that would not have cost me less than $1100 landed, and they are a silly price here new at around $1,400 if you can find one.

This one came up a couple of months ago on eBay, lots were bidding around $250 etc, with a week to go, it had a Buy it Now for $690... could not resist it. Was mint, original padded bag and box, and $200 cheaper than BH.

I think one or two of my other lenses will go now. For sure the F 50mm 1.7 is under threat, and the Sigma EX 50mm Macro 2.8. Kinda redundant now.
10-06-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good work Phil, very good. Particularly like the first two.
Thought you might have thrown the leg over (through) the Burgman and headed for Bathurst.
Cheers,
Grant

10-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Good work Phil, very good. Particularly like the first two.
Thought you might have thrown the leg over (through) the Burgman and headed for Bathurst.
Cheers,
Grant
Thanks Grant, yeah... would have been nice, but this hot weekend my energy level is about throwing the leg over the arm chair with a beer and watching the race on the big screen... damn, where have the years gone. My first Bathurst was in 1964.. was a lot easier then
10-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Matix, could you comment on the Sigma 10-20 being soft, should I buy one? Thanks.
10-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Hi Matix, could you comment on the Sigma 10-20 being soft, should I buy one? Thanks.
Hi Kguru, is there softness? Well it is not a Limited lens, but then it is not the same price by a long shot. I think it is great, this example which I also shot at the Brisbane Southbank Parklands, was hand held with fading lighting, using the Sigma 10-20 EX.

Considering it was shot as a JPG at F4.5, 14mm and 200 iso I think it has minimal softness. Left it a bit large in the interests of clarity.

Phil

10-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
Hi Kguru, is there softness?
Thanks for the clarification.
I thought you mentioned it yourself that the lens was soft, and the large size city skyline pic at DPR looked a bit so. If I misunderstood please ignore silly old me

10-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
No problem.. the light was fading, and the scene was softening.... I was not clear either.

Phil