Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #1

Buying pentax *50-135mm and *16-50mm

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to buy those two lenses. I found a 16-50mm on ebay for $600 open box with 30 day money back guarantee, but since I know many of these lenses have the SDM problem, is it worth it buying from ebay or just add a couple hundred bucks and buy them new.

Thanks,
Daniel

01-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
If your going to get one, be sure you can also get the additional 2 years of coverage insurance. Then, i would not care, and i would get the lens.
01-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
Can you get insurance for used lenses? if so where?

Thanks for your answer
01-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsauna Quote
Hi Everyone,

but since I know many of these lenses have the SDM problem, is it worth it buying from ebay or just add a couple hundred bucks and buy them new.
"The Pentax DA* series of high-grade lenses designed exclusively for Pentax digital SLR cameras."

*Purchaser understands that use of the DA* lens is entirely at your own risk. Warranty only valid for one year. Sometimes requires spinning of focus barrel to wake up SDM motor. Pentax is not responsible for intermittent SDM failure, or decentered focus at f/2.8. Purchaser agrees to be bound by the terms of this disclaimer and not hold Pentax liable, nor post negative feedback about the lens on photography forums. All similarities to FA* glass either specific or implied is strictly a coincidence. Purchaser agrees to the statement that "SDM failure is a myth", and further agrees not to compare focus speed to other manufacturers. Shots missed due to the focus speed and/or SDM failure of DA* lenses are entirely the responsibility of the photographer. All rights reserved.

01-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can probably get a Square Trade Warranty after purchase from Ebay.
01-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a 10-17 macro and a DA 18-135 WR you get more range. I guess I'm saying that because I already have the DA 10-17, just saying.
01-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you really have to buy one of these SDM lenses, I suggest to buy a new one. I believe the early batches have design/manufacturing issues. By buying new now, you have better chance to get a good copy.

I have an early batch DA*50-135mm. It has various symtoms users reported on forums. Only that it hasn't failed yet. I alomst wish DA*50-135mm only has screw-drive AF.

I also have a 17-70mm SDM and I think its AF hesitates in many situations.

My conclusion is: SDM is definitely not fast, has bugs, and can be really frustrating in real shootings.
01-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Forum Member

The 50-135 is worth doing whatever you need to in order to have peace of mind imo. I bought an open box one (which didn't appear to have ever been opened) from Amazon with square trade warranty back in August, and its been used 5 days a week since with no issues yet.

The 16-50s would appear to have more issues than the 50-135, but its still a great lens to have as well.

01-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Check out this thread by clicking the link below. Similar question. However I cannot vouch for Mack warranty. They are the cheapest I have seen.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/128993-buying-...tor-k100d.html

I have the 50-135, no problems so far. But I did get the Mack warranty Great IQ on this lens. Not superfast in focusing but I did not have anything comparable in size and weight that I could use at the time so I went for it.

But with all the problems reported with SDM I did not buy the 16-50 as I was not sure I wanted to have two SDM lenses in my kit...Still searching for something else in that focal length. I have rented the 16-50 three times and it has served me well. Still waiting to see if the 50-135 gives me problems or not. So far more than a year and still going fine. Not ready to bite on the 16-50 though and I am still waiting for more reviews on the newest sigma 17-50
01-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Get a square trade warranty and enjoy the lenses. Your new lenses may never experience any problems at all or they may fail out of the box. Just as with anything else.

01-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot depends on how risk-averse you are. I have the SDM lenses and have a Mack Warranty on the 16-50 and no extra coverage on the others. I really don't think about it much, except when I read the forum. At the same time, I know a lot of people worry incessantly that they are going to spend a bunch of money on a lens and then have it not wake up one day. If you are like that, then get a warranty and you'll sleep better at night.
01-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
"The Pentax DA* series of high-grade lenses designed exclusively for Pentax digital SLR cameras."

*Purchaser understands that use of the DA* lens is entirely at your own risk. Warranty only valid for one year. Sometimes requires spinning of focus barrel to wake up SDM motor. Pentax is not responsible for intermittent SDM failure, or decentered focus at f/2.8. Purchaser agrees to be bound by the terms of this disclaimer and not hold Pentax liable, nor post negative feedback about the lens on photography forums. All similarities to FA* glass either specific or implied is strictly a coincidence. Purchaser agrees to the statement that "SDM failure is a myth", and further agrees not to compare focus speed to other manufacturers. Shots missed due to the focus speed and/or SDM failure of DA* lenses are entirely the responsibility of the photographer. All rights reserved.
Couldn't be any more cynical could you PentaxPoke?
But truthfully, if you're concerned, get the insurance - if you can't get it and don't want to risk the failures, then don't buy them. All the above 'issues' (except focus speed) are grounds to return the lenses for repair.
01-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote

That is just stupid and I would avoid that seller :-)
01-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
That is just stupid and I would avoid that seller :-)
The part in quotes is taken directly from the Pentax online store.
01-19-2011, 04:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The part in quotes is taken directly from the Pentax online store.

You mean "The Pentax DA* series of high-grade lenses designed exclusively for Pentax digital SLR cameras."

Or the other kind of quotes?