Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Another grab bag... check it out (aka help me out)

I bought another used pentax bag from someone local without knowing much... the stuff is very clean though, looks almost new.

package contain the ZX-50 but apparently the battery is low on the camera, so I can't do anything (can't AF, shutter doesn't take pictures ect...)

I went home and look at the stuff carefully, and found this.
1) Samyang 100-500mm f/5.6-7.1
I think it's a pentax mount but apparently i can't mount it on the camera (so i'm thinking it's not a pentax mount)... I've included picture for you guys to check it out.. also I don't see the aperture blade anywhere... weird. There's an aperture dial, but not sure where the hell the blade is at... i look through the dam thing, didn't see anything.
Not sure if this thing is worth any money... it's a huge ass lens that's for sure.

2) Also in the bag is
some brand 500mm f/8.0 with 2X tele converter... this one fit on to the camera.... again not sure if it's worth anything... seems like a nice lens, not sure of the quality haha. it looks like this thing
Five Star 500mm 1:8 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

3) A tamron 28-300 AF... not sure if the AF work or not, the camera battery is low and refuse to do anything... could be a broken lens... but i'm hoping it's the camera... comes with hood and everything. I wanted this lens in my sony mount, maybe this is what push me to buy this whole dam package.

4) A pentax-A 50mm f/1.7. I definitely know what this thing is worth haha, so I was happy with it.

5) Surprisingly i found 2X AF converter 1.7X... I thought it was junk till i look up at the sell forum, apparently these things are worth about 50-75 each? scored!!!!!

I think that's everything from the bag... A little tired digging through them (kindda fun too, I tend to buy stupid crap like this haha). Thinking about dumping all my sony gear for a pentax K-R... dam this sony was fun for 3 weeks, till i find out some annoying crap about it, now to find someone to take it off my hand lol, that's gonna be hard as hell.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A330  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A330  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A330  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A330  Photo 
01-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one in the last photo does not look like a Pentax mount of any kind. The 500mm is likely a T mount lens for which you need a PK adapter to use with the Pentax camera. If it has one, you're good to go. Put it on your camera and shoot the moon with it. If the Tamron doesn't AF then use it as a manual focus lens.

Have fun with your new stuff.

01-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you want to sell this, please post in the marketplace! I suspect this thread will be deleted soon.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want to sell this, please post in the marketplace! I suspect this thread will be deleted soon.

um, yeah just delete it if you feel that it's against the rule, sorry, just wanted to check things out...

01-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The one in the last photo does not look like a Pentax mount of any kind. The 500mm is likely a T mount lens for which you need a PK adapter to use with the Pentax camera. If it has one, you're good to go. Put it on your camera and shoot the moon with it. If the Tamron doesn't AF then use it as a manual focus lens.

Have fun with your new stuff.

i was wondering what kindda mount is the last picture? I'm thinking i'd need an adaptor to make it work in a pentax? i saw a few pictures of people with this lens on pentax.
01-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nvm, i just found it, the version people have on the pentax was the KR mount, this one is OM (i'm guessing olympus mount)... interesting.
01-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I had not thought of (or about) it but yes, it's an Olympus OM mount. Below is my 100mm f2.8

One of the side buttons releases the lens, and the other is the DOF preview (press it to see the shutter blades).

Attached Images

01-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I always like the ZX-50 camera. It has some great features for it's time. They are tiny now compared to a K10 or K-7 but they are really good film bodies. New batteries should not be difficult to find. I think I got a few last year and easily found them in a few places.
Obviously the 500mm is made by Quantaray and may be similar to the Five Star 500mm. With it's maximum aperture of f8, these lenses are slow as old people fuhhh... Better not finish that. As suggested, as a simple first target assignment, get some pictures of the Moon with it sometime.

If you got all this stuff for less than $140, I say you did well.

01-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I always like the ZX-50 camera. It has some great features for it's time. They are tiny now compared to a K10 or K-7 but they are really good film bodies. New batteries should not be difficult to find. I think I got a few last year and easily found them in a few places.
Obviously the 500mm is made by Quantaray and may be similar to the Five Star 500mm. With it's maximum aperture of f8, these lenses are slow as old people fuhhh... Better not finish that. As suggested, as a simple first target assignment, get some pictures of the Moon with it sometime.

If you got all this stuff for less than $140, I say you did well.

yeah, that 500mm is slowwwwww haha, it came with a 2X converter... exactly the same one as the five star ones...

Notice i don't have a pentax body... no way to test these things... but there's a camera fair coming up in my area in 2 weeks, there's people there who can apraise this stuff (i'll probably get rid of the 100-500 right then and there since OM mount are a bit out of style now). then I'll either get rid of the rest or get rid of my sony alpha stuff and move to pentax... I think a hyperzoom, a semi fast prime pentax A, and a funny looking 500mm is a good way to get started haha, the sony stuff I have is probably gonna get me atleast a k-x with kit lens
01-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just bought some battery and film to check today (total damage 15 bucks @ wally world haha).

everything worked... yayyyyyyy. The 28-300 is quite nice, pretty good zoom, not sure if the IQ but the range is quite good. might grab 1 for my sony alpha.