Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Tele-Takumar 200mm Lens on Pentax K-X Question

I bought today at a thrift store this lens for $7.50. I'm very much a newbie here and have a Pentax k-x. I thought this lens would fit it, but it doesn't fit the camera. Is there something that I need or is there something wrong with the lens? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
01-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html

You'll want an adapter.
01-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks - so Im getting this "Pentax k to m42 adapter" , right? some of this stuff is very confusing! I appreciate your help tremendously...
01-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax k-x uses k-mount lenses normally. However, it can also use older "M42 mount" lenses such as the 200mm you have with an adapter.

There are a number of different brands of these adapters available on eBay. The general consensus is that the best is the actual Pentax one, although some say that some of the off brands work also.

Be careful to get one without a flange if you get a off-brand. The flange changes the registration distance of the lens and prevents focusing at infinity.

You might also look at this thread for additional information on your lens

Or here for the Pentax Forums lens info on this lens. You have the Tele-Takumar version from 1962. This is a pre-set lens which takes a little getting used to but works great on the k-x.

Best,

01-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info, Jatrax. I think I will play it safe and buy one direct from Pentax. Saving $20.00 and buying a third-party brand doesn't seem worth it.
01-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have one of these; surprisingly good lens; you should enjoy it.

Note that is lens is what is know as a "preset" lens--that means there are two rings for the aperture. The bottom ring, which clicks, is used to set the desired aperture, then the other ring actually adjusts the aperture (continuously variable) and physically stops when it has reached the setting on the other ring. So you can actually just use Av mode on the camera, and the camera will adjust the shutter speed in real time in accordance with your adjusting the aperture.